SHALE HILL ADVENTURE Presents the 7TH ANNUAL
POLAR BEAR 8 HOUR OBSTACLE CHALLENGE
FEBRUARY 2, 2019
BENSON, VERMONT, USA
Are you ready for 10K plus (6.2+ miles) in just "ONE" loop, OVER 80 obstacles, trail running, hills, mud, ice, and snow?! Do you think you’re up for the ULTIMATE challenge, in the middle of winter?? All the braggin’ rights go the person who can COMPLETE the most LAPS in 8 hours! Youth are welcome to participate ages 13 - 17 with special discounting...check it out!!! Only the tough and hardy will beat the odds on our never ending loop of physical and mental challenges!
This is a unique winter obstacle race offering 8 hours of racing on Shale Hill's 10K obstacle course in Benson, Vermont! One of the highlights of this race venue is the indoor "heated" Party Barn offering an ALL-DAY hot buffet, long sleeve Polar Bear 8 T-shirt & a custom finisher's medal included in everyone's entry!
YOUTH ONLY 13-17 BOYS and GIRLS - includes ALL DAY BUFFET
JOURNEYMAN / NON-COMPETITIVE MEN'S and WOMEN'S - includes ALL DAY BUFFET
MASTERS AGE 50+ MEN'S and WOMEN'S - Includes ALL DAY BUFFET
OPEN ADULT 18-49 MEN'S and WOMEN'S - includes ALL DAY BUFFET
PRO/ELITE "WOMEN'S" AGE 18+ Includes ALL DAY BUFFET
PRO/ELITE "MEN'S" AGE 18+ Includes ALL DAY BUFFET
Join us for 8 hours of obstacle adventure racing in the WINTER!! Winner of the most laps completed on our INSANE 10K+ MILE OBSTACLE COURSE with over 70 obstacles and physical challenges takes home the big prize and bragging rights! Check us out at www.shalehilladventure.com for more details!
* Take breaks "between laps" in our enclosed heated SHALE HILL PARTY BARN with ALL DAY food buffet & non-alcoholic beverages included in your race fee for the 8 Hour Divisions ONLY.
* SPECTATORS will need to purchase a buffet ticket separately during registration check out.
On course, there will be 4 bonfires going at all times to give you a moment to warm up right and limited water stations depending on temperatures. Please bring your own water for the course via a backpack type hydration system. TIP: If your mouth piece/tube freezes you can still access fresh water by opening up your water spout and pour it out. Or, wear your water on your front/chest where it's more protected and uses your body heat to keep from freezing.
EMTs will be available to address any injuries or hypothermic needs throughout the day. The recommendation is to stay well hydrated and nourished throughout the day even though you may not feel thirsty due to the colder temperatures. Cold weather clothing and "at least 3 clothing changes" should be brought with you and ready in your gear box/bag for changes between laps (including dry running shoes). Dry/waterproof gloves, head coverings and footwear is imperative to avoid frostbite in your extremities!!!
** ALL PARTICIPANTS RECEIVE A CUSTOM MEDAL
& LONG SLEEVE POLAR BEAR T-SHIRT **
>> POLAR BEAR 8 is a OCRWC & NAOCR CHAMPIONSHIP
The Polar Bear is one of the first qualifying events of the 2019 OCR Season.
Shale Hill's divisions for PRIZES ONLY are:
PRO/ELITE age 18+ MEN & WOMEN
Youth BOYS & GIRLS (13-17)
Open MEN & WOMEN (18-49)
Masters MEN & WOMEN (50+)
* However, we will recognize qualified participants in the following catagories who place in the top 5 (or 50% of division if less than 10 participants) and send results to OCRWC...
Important Note: No more than 50% of an age group or a gender in their division at a specific event can qualify for the OCRWC (i.e. if an age group has only 8 athletes in it, only the top four(4) atheletes are deemed qualifiers)
OCRWC QUALIFYING CATEGORIES at POLAR BEAR 2019
PRO/ELITE ages 18+ (top 5 in your gender)
13-17 (top 5 in this age group)
18-49 (top 5 in this age group)
50+ (top 5 in this age group)
>>> ACCESS TO THE ALL DAY FOOD/BEVERAGE BUFFET is INCLUDED IN YOUR REGISTRATION AS A PARTICIPANT.
>>> BUFFET TICKETS WILL NEED TO PURCHASED BY SPECTATORS
(BUFFET IS OPEN AND STOCKED BETWEEN 6:30AM - 3:30PM ONLY)
* LARGEST TEAM RECOGNITION - Team with the most participants competing.
NOTE: EVERYONE IS ENTERED AS AN INDIVIDUAL COMPETITOR IN PRO/ELITE 18+, YOUTH (13-17), OPEN ADULT (18-49) OR MASTERS (50+). IF YOU CREATE AND JOIN A TEAM, YOU WILL "ALSO" BE ENTERED IN THE LARGEST TEAM COMPETITION. NO EXTRA FEES FOR TEAMS/CLUBS:-)
* The "PRO/Elite & Age Group Divisions" of this race are NOT for beginners or the average person who has never tried Obstactle Racing before (particulary in winter)! You must be physically fit to participate in this race that will be very challenging with over 70 military type obstacles, hills, shale, ice, possible snow, mud, trail running, uneven ground, walls, hay bales, monkey bars, 11' vertical walls, rope climbs, barbed wire crawls, etc. on EACH lap! The winning contenders of this race will be hard pressed to complete 3 laps (that's nearly 20 miles and over 200 obstacles in an 8 hour period)!!
* JOURNEYMAN DIVISION - JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN & TAKE A LOOP WITHOUT PENALTY AT OUR WORLD FAMOUS SHALE HILL COURSE?? Then sign up for the Journeyman/Non-Competive Division as an option for athletes who want to take their time and perhaps only complete a lap or two. There will be "no-penalties" awarded for failed obstacles. This is a non-competitive division and your time will not be counted towards final placement for prizes. However, you will receive a medal for completing 1 lap, a CUSTOM POLAR BEAR t-shirt!
SPECTATORS who would like unlimited access to the ALL-DAY BUFFET and warm "Party Barn" to support and cheer on their comrades must purchase a BUFFET-SPECTATOR PASS. Space is limited to competitors, volunteers and a limited number of spectators due to occupancy constraints and spectators will be "required" to purchase a spectator pass prior to the event to gain access. If you have family, friends, and/or children who would like to see you compete, but are not interested in purchasing a Spectator Pass, they are welcome to dress warm and cheer you on the course outdoors "free of charge." Local food purveyors are within a 1/8 mile of Shale Hill (The Benson Village Store and The Wheel Inn).
Single pass options for the buffet are available as well. $20 ADULTS & CHILDREN SINGLE PASS PRICE. Breakfast buffet is from 6:30am to 10:30am. Lunch/Dinner buffet is from 10:30am - 3:30pm. You can choose to eat from either setting, but not both for the same single pass price. All day buffet pricing: 12 & up is $50 and 11 and under is $30.
BUFFET LAST STOCKED AT 3:30PM!!!! Please keep this in mind when planning to visit the buffet after your race is complete.
Discount Codes do not apply to the Buffet/Spectator Pass
No dogs permitted in the gym/buffet area or on the grounds. Sorry, we love dogs, we have a dogs (Max and Shale), but for the safety and comfort of all our patrons, we do not allow visiting dogs. IF YOU HAVE A CERTIFIED SERVICE DOG, please let us know ahead of time and we'll let you run with your SERVICE DOG.
** PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FOOD VENDOR AND SERVICE STAFF by purchasing a Buffet Pass. We will "not" allow outside meals/food brought in from the outside unless you have a food allergy and you have notified us of your concerns.
** VEGETARIAN & limited gluten FREE options will be available on the buffet :-)
CHECK-IN will be available the day before the POLAR BEAR on Friday, February 1st starting 4pm through 9pm only. If you arrive after 9pm, you will have to check-in the next morning starting at 5:00am and we close promptly at 6:30am for the Racer's Briefing at 6:45am. You will need to park in the general parking area and carry your gear box to the gym/barn. Gear boxes can be dropped off at the barn during early check-in on Friday pm. PLEASE FOLLOW THE PARKING SIGNS on LAKE ROAD to lead you to the EARLY check-in area. You will have enough time to unload your gear box and then return your car to the parking area in the field below as we have very limited parking available at the registration/party barn area. You can return to the barn to finish signing in and hang out with us to chat and meet your fellow competitors, volunteers and race directors, Jill and Rob!
On Saturday, Feb. 2nd, BREAKFAST will start at 6:30am. Post time is promptly at 7:30am for the FIRST PRO/Elite Wave, so please allow yourself plenty of time to get dressed, put on your pinny numbers, settle in and time to eat a good breakfast (did we mention we have BACON!!!)! The racers briefing will be at 6:45am in the PARTY BARN. Line-up on the start line for the first heat will be at 7:25am. Departure for the first lap will leave at 7:30am SHARP!! Subsequent waves will depart promptly at the times listed on the schedule.
If you are only planning on doing a lap or two, then PLEASE consider signing up for the 8 Hour Journeyman/Non-Competitive Division. Please keep in mind that you should still attend the competitor's briefing at 6:45am so you don't miss anything in regards to the course! After 7:30am, Rob (Course designer/co-director) starts out on the course following everyone. It will take an average of 2-3 hours to complete 1 lap. So, plan your time accordingly and dress for the current weather conditions! If you need any questions answered or help during the day please find Jill in Registration or the Party Barn area.
We are looking for volunteers to help us during the event! We have several openings to help with registration, spotters on course, at the finish line (timers and lap counters), runners, penalty box, and the buffet. Please click the "VOLUNTEER" button on the left side of this page and you will be directed to the duties we are looking to fill. Also, please call or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know what your availability is that day.
Volunteers get a buffet pass, and $10 per CREDIT HOUR towards the following: training passes, Shale Hill or Sinergy Sports merchandise, Icebug footwear OR entry credit to a future Shale Hill race in 2019 only!!! Credit not used by 12/31/19 will be forfeited and not carried over into 2020, sorry!
A lot of you have asked for advice on what to wear. Below is a list of "suggested" clothing and footwear to make your racing experience as comfortable as possible :-)
* Headband to cover ears or breathable running hat. Bring extras for multiple laps. Small, foldable so that it can fit in your pocket if you overheat.
* Sunscreen or moisturizer to prevent windburn and chaffing on your face & ears. Bees wax type lip balms to keep lips moist.
* Upper body - long sleeve wool synthetic base layers and breathable outerlayers to keep you warm but allow perspiration to evaporate. If you are wet and sweaty and stop or slow down, you will get chilled.
* Lower body - long running tights layered with winter/wind-stop type running pants on top. Many run with tights and long athletic shorts.
* Some people like to wear a thin wet-suit type material that keeps you warm if you happen to get wet from snow, slush/water (i.e. Frogskins from Australia)
Hands, shins & Feet
* Close fitting leather/sythetic gloves with some padding for warmth, but not too bulky. Attach them to your shirt/jacket cuff so you can easily slip them on and off depending on the obstacle where you may need to use your bare hands (i.e. monkey bars, ropes, traverse wall).
* Carry some hand warmers in your pockets to warm your hands up between obstacles.
* Gaiters are suggested to help keep debris/snow/ice from getting in over the top of your shoes or boots. We sell ICEBUG Sock Gaiters and find they work very well any variety of shoe brands.
* Shin Gaiters by MOXIE GEAR (from Australia). These are sythetic, durable sleeve gaiters for your lower calf and shin protection. They fit between the top of the ankle to below your knee. They keep you warm, dry and with the extra padding on the shins they provide excellent protection from superficial injuries sustained on obstacles. MOXIE gaiters are available for sale in our store. Size S, M & L. Limited sizing and shin models available for sale. Otherwise, we can place an order for you :-)
* Footwear - We have a fair amount of elevation change, slippery slopes, ICE, frozen stream beds, frozen pond, snow and more ice throughout the course. Rubber soled footwear is not going to cut it...you will definitely need traction footwear whether it be studded outsoles or add-on traction (i.e., cramp-ons, yaktraks, etc). And this is why we love ICEBUG FOOTWEAR from Sweden for our course. We put ICEBUG on the North American map for OCR when they were first introduced to us back in 2013!! ICEBUG specializes in carbide studded performance trail running shoes and boots for the OCR and Adventure Racing. Select models and sizes will be available FOR SALE. Limited models and sizes available to demo on the day of the race (we cannot guarantee waterproof models). If you like them, and we know you will, you can order a pair for the remainder of your ENDURANCE training season and beyond!! Hands down, this is an Icebug course, and we endorse ICEBUG Footwear for all your Adventure Racing and OCR needs!! Check out www.icebug.com for all the latest models available and order your next pair through Shale Hill for special race participant discounting of 10% :-) Please contact Jill at Shale Hill directly at 802-537-3561 to order ahead. Please allow 2 weeks for delivery of footwear not in stock.
NO REFUNDS after registration is completed, no exceptions. Transfer to another participant is permitted, but please let us know who the "tranforee" is BEFORE race day.
NO REFUNDS, TRANSFERS OR DEFERRALS after closing date of race, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Consideration for deferrals and transfers must follow this policy:
DEFERRALS TO ANOTHER RACE are not permitted after this race. Shale Hill is closing at the conclusion of this race. If you cannot attend after registering you have the option to sell/transfer your entry to another person. See below...
TRANSFERS to another participant are allowed, but you must "gift" or "sell" your registration to them and this must be worked out between you (original participant) and the person whom you are transferring your registration to. There are no transfer fees, but you MUST get in touch with us to change the information on our roster to the new participant prior to the closing date. After the closing date, transfers will not be accepted and you forfeit your registration fees.
Shale Hill Adventure Farm, LLC
February 1 4:00 PM EST - EARLY CHECK-IN FRIDAY NIGHT 4pm-9pm
February 2 5:00 AM EST - RACE DAY CHECK-IN 5:00am - 6:30am
February 2 6:30 AM EST - ALL-DAY BUFFET OPENS
February 2 6:45 AM EST - RACER'S BRIEFING - PROMPT!!!
February 2 7:30 AM EST - WAVE #1: PRO/ELITE HEAT START
February 2 7:45 AM EST - WAVE #2: YOUTH - OPEN ADULT - MASTERS HEAT START
February 2 7:50 AM EST - WAVE #3: JOURNEYMAN HEAT START
February 2 3:30 PM EST - 8 HOUR RACE ENDS 3:30PM - 3:45PM - 3:50PM
February 2 3:30 PM EST - BUFFET LAST STOCKED at 3:30pm
February 2 4:30 PM EST - AWARDS CEREMONY AROUND 4:30/5PM