Register on-site at one of the following:
Thursday, 5-7 pm French Broad Chocolate Factory ~ Riverside Dr
Friday, 4:30 - 6 pm Catawba Brewing ~ Banks Ave
Saturday, 7 - 9 am Isaac Dickson Elementary School ~ Hill St.
Welcome to the Asheville Hot Chocolate 5K, 10K,
Kids Hill Climb and Marshmallow Dash,
benefiting the non-profit Isaac Dickson Elementary School Parent Teacher Organization(PTO).
Enjoy Asheville's very own Hot Chocolaty races.
Choose the one that fits you best.
The 5K and 10K events are chip timed by Right on Time Productions.
Hill Climb or Marshmallow Dash?
Simply sign up for the generic kids race. Wait till race morning and choose the one you're child feels up to at that time. Both races are for kids 12 and under only (although parents can run along side for free, of course!) All kids receive a commemorative race bib and pin!
The Marshmallow Dash for our younger crowd! A shorter and safer event for the little ones! Choose the one that works best for your child no matter what their age.
Each runner can enjoy a steaming cup of
hot chocolate perfection post race thanks to
Please note, in case of extreme weather (snow and ice that makes car traffic and APD support impossible) the race will be postponed until February 1st.
Kids Hill Climb or Marshmallow Dash Closed
Wait till race morning and choose the one you're child feels up to at that time. Both races are for kids 12 & under only (parents can run alongside for free)
Race t-shirt not included with registration fee- Pick your swag during registration and add it on.
$20.00Registrants 1 – 50
$25.00Registrants 51 – 100
$30.00Registrants 101 – 226
$35.00227 – Sell out
Race t-shirt not included with registration fee- Pick your swag during registration and add it on
$25.00Registrants 1 – 50
$30.00Registrants 51 – 125
$35.00Registrants 126 – 226
$40.00227 – Sell out
Course maps can be found here - CLICK HERE
All 5K/10K participants should plan on finishing the race by 11:00 a.m. to receive an official time. At 11:00 a.m., the traffic controls on the course will cease. Those remaining on the course can still proceed but should travel on sidewalks and stop at all traffic lights. Race officials will remain on the course to monitor and assist all participants until they reach the finish line. There is no time limit for either the 1K Kids Hill climb or the Marshmallow Dash.
Please read carefully:
- The courses are open to traffic. Repeat. The course is not completely closed to traffic. Please, be mindful of traffic, stay to the right side of the road as much as possible and do not run more than two (2) abreast if you can help it. STAY AWAY FROM THE MIDDLE and run in the direction of traffic.
- We will have either volunteers or police or both at all intersections. All course volunteers will be wearing orange vests. In case of emergency during the race, please notify the nearest volunteer/APD AND call 911.
- Finally, it is a winter race, so please keep you eye on the Weather Channel and dress appropriately. If we have a weather emergency, our website's main page and Facebook page will be updated and emails will go out.
Complimentary on-site BAG CHECK will be available.
2020 Age Group Mug awards
will go to the top three finishers in each of the following age divisions:
14&U; 15-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70-74; 75-79; 80-84; 85-89; 90 and over.
9 & under; 10-14; 15-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70-74; 75-79; 80-84; 85-89; 90 and over.
Overall placers not eligible for age group awards. The 10K Awards will tentatively begin at 10:45 a.m. 5k Awards will begin tentatively at 10:15
1K Hill Climb: The top three boys and top three girls will each receive a special award. In addition, every child gets a commemorative button! The 1K Kids Hill Climb is limited to children 12 and under (although parents can run alongside for free, of course!) The 1K awards will be given out in the gym at 9:15 am.
Marshmallow Dash: Every child gets a commemorative button! The Marshmallow Dash is limited to children 12 and under and parents are encouraged if need be to stay by their child’s side the whole dash or meet them at the finish line.
We recommend the use of the three parking garages listed below.
We have the following parking lots available for use on race morning:
1. City parking garage at Civic Center
2. City parking garage on Wall Street
3. City parking garage on Rankin Ave.
4. Chamber of Commerce (all but upper portion of lot).
5. Randolph School Parking lot on Montford Ave.
The Asheville Hot Chocolate Races have a NO REFUND policy. However, we do offer partial discount codes for cancellations during our cancellation periods.
A discount code for 50% of your race registration fee will be offered until 10 days prior to the race date. Discount codes can be used to register for next year's race and will be valid for 12 months after the event date.
We offer RegShield during the registration process to protect your purchase from injury etc. if you choose.
You may transfer your registration to another runners up to 5 days before the event. Click the TRANSFER button.
- January 23 5:00 PM EST - Early Bird Packet Pick Up/Volunteer Meeting at French Broad Chocolate Factory 821 Riverside Dr.
- January 23 7:00 PM EST - Early Bird Packet Pick Up/Volunteer Meeting Ends
- January 24 4:00 PM EST - Friday Evening Packet Pick Up Begins at Catawba Brewing 32 Banks Ave
- January 24 6:30 PM EST - Friday Evening Packet Pick Up Closes
- January 25 7:00 AM EST - Race Day Packet Pick Up at Isaac Dickson Elementary School 125 Hill St.
- January 25 8:30 AM EST - Marshmallow Dash Starts
- January 25 8:40 AM EST - 1K Hill Climb Starts
- January 25 8:50 AM EST - Kids Races Finish
- January 25 9:00 AM EST - 10k Start
- January 25 9:15 AM EST - Kid Race Awards in the Gym
- January 25 9:15 AM EST - 5K Start
- January 25 10:15 AM EST - 5K Awards
- January 25 10:45 AM EST - 10k Awards
- Event contact
- Asheville Hot Chocolate Races
- Visit website