This course is being held at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.
This qualification is an introduction to coaching obstacle sports and obstacle course racing. It provides the principles and practices of safe and ethical coaching of obstacle sports sessions to youth, junior and adult recreational athletes and groups.
The World OCR coaching system is a competency based programme, where coaches are taught, supported and assessed to ensure they are competent to hold the qualification. This system focuses on knowledge, skills and how to deliver them to students.
World OCR courses maximize candidate involvement through group activities, discussions, personal reflections and practical application.
The general format of World OCR coach education is academic, classroom based modules, followed by hands on application of each module. This provides the link between theory and applied coaching practice. The instructor becomes a guide who integrates the knowledge and experience of the coaches with the course content.
- Tour of the Olympic Training Center
Three full days of coach development (24 hours) and training (8 hours)
- Obstacle techniques, laser shooting, training and racing
- Running, technique, injury prevention, evaluation and treatment
- Nutrition for racing, training and recovery
- Strength and functional training
- Sports psychology and physiology
- Expert instruction from Olympic coaches and world champion athletes
- Three nights accommodation at the Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center
- Full meal plan in the training centre dining hall, lunch Thursday through lunch Sunday
- Access to specific Olympic training facilities
- Access to the Team USA Shop
- Ground transport from Colorado Springs Airport and during the camp
- US SafeSport program and certificate of completion (no additional cost)
- Prerequisites: Courses are for coaches with proficiency teaching and training athletes.
- We suggest a minimum of 12 months experience as a certificated coach in strength and conditioning, athletics, triathlon, OCR or similar.
- Anatomy For Runners, Jay Dicharry
- Run For Your Life, Dr. Mark Cucuzzella
- Everyday is Game Day, Mark Verstegen (for exercise, not nutrition)
- Knack Weight Training for Women, Leah Garcia
- Why We Sleep, Dr. Matthew Walker
- Endurance Training, Science and Practice, Iñigo Mujika
- The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing, Dr. Phil Maffetone
- The Real Meal Revolution (first edition), Dr.Timothy Noakes
Days left until registration closes
Days left until the course
- March 26 12:00 PM MDT - Training center check-in open / lunch
- March 26 3:00 PM MDT - Welcome and Introductions
- March 26 4:30 PM MDT - Overview, training centre tour, Team USA Store
- March 26 6:00 PM MDT - Dinner and discussion
- March 27 6:00 AM MDT - Friday morning sessions
- March 27 1:00 PM MDT - Friday afternoon sessions
- March 28 8:00 AM MDT - Saturday morning sessions
- March 28 1:00 PM MDT - Saturday afternoon sessions
- March 29 7:00 AM MDT - Sunday morning sessions
- March 29 1:00 PM MDT - Use of training center and departures