ASICS Running Apps – Senior Product Designer
- Product: Private
- Job type: Product
- Position: Full time
Kihachiro Onitsuka founded ASICS in 1949 to realize his desire to nurture the youth of Japan through sports and contribute to the development of society. Our founding philosophy, “Anima Sana In Corpore Sano (A Sound Mind in a Sound Body)”, represents our wish for people all over the world to live healthful and happy lives in both body and mind.
The ASICS brand is especially well known for its connection to running and for producing extremely high-quality running shoes. To strengthen our commitment to runners, we are expanding our investment in running-related digital services, i.e. running event technology (Race Roster™), AI run-coaching apps (the ASICS Runkeeper™ app), and other exciting platforms that will help us better serve the running industry. Combined, these projects and products makeup ASICS Running Apps.
Our mission―in the past, today, and into the future―is to contribute to a healthful and sustainable society and to bring joy to the people of the world through sports. Sports are an important element in living longer healthy lives, in feeling more fulfilled, and in crossing national and cultural boundaries to bring the world together. If you are looking to join a fun and innovative company focused on the booming digital health and fitness industry, this is the place for you
Are you looking for a role where you can have an impact in solving one of the most common design problems – Motivation? We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to join the ASICS Running Apps team to help us discover and solve how millions of real people close the gap between intent and action while having a positive impact on their lives and health. This role will be working on the Runkeeper product to contribute to the design of the mobile app.
Our ideal candidate will help us understand user behavior, needs and motivation at a fundamental level. They will do this through user interviews, product discovery, diving into customer data, journey maps, user personas, and creating user-centric designs.
This position is open to internal and external candidates.
You must include a portfolio in your application to be considered for this role.
This role is working on the Runkeeper product.
- Work closely with product management and engineers to discover customer “opportunities” and research best solutions
- Facilitate and lead customer interviews and usability studies to understand our users and their needs
- Sketch & prototype new experiences with just enough documentation (we try to keep things as Lean as possible)
- Finalize with high-fidelity mockup and hand-off to engineering
- Clearly articulate the rationale behind design decisions and communicate them effectively with the team.
- Participate in QA throughout development to ensure the experience delivered to customers meets expectations.
- Devote time to know our product and the fitness runner market.
- Keep the pulse on new features and iterate after releasing to users until we get it right
- Be a leader and advocate in defining and evolving the product development process so that it works for everyone
- Work with ASICS Fitness Apps marketing teams to help define concepts consumers love that also delivers real value to end users
- Lead the design strategy and execution within a product team, with some guidance and coaching
- Help define the design work and balance customer and business outcomes
- Consult with the product owner to help inform product strategy
- Present to and communicate with stakeholders throughout the discovery, define, design and deliver processes.
- Mentor junior designers and participate in team critiques
- Contribute to the culture of the UX team
- Meaningfully participate in diversity and inclusion initiatives across the ASICS Running Apps teams
Education & Experience
- 4+ years of experience as a UX or Interaction designer; consumer product experience is a plus
- 3+ years of experience working on a mobile-centric product
- A portfolio of work that shows your process for solving problems and the solutions you’ve come up with for them
- Experience conducting and coordinating remote and in-person user research using a variety of methodologies, and documenting the results and findings
- Relevant education in HCI or Human Factors is a big plus
- Sees the world from a “customer first” perspective
- Experience with design and prototyping tools such as Figma, Sketch, and InVision.
- Familiarity with the value of design systems, understanding reuse and scale, and knowing when to improve
- Strong design communication skills and desire to work as part of a team
- Interest in learning from and teaching others
- Effective completion of assigned tasks
- Efficient use of time and resources
- Continuously learning and improving in your role
- Quality of work performed
- Ability to communicate effectively with other employees at all levels of the organization
The successful candidate for this role will become an employee of Race Roster North America Corporation (RRNA), a subsidiary of ASICS Corporation – a Japanese multinational corporation. Race Roster was founded in London, Ontario in 2011.