2014 marks the 6th Annual Backcountry Wilderness Half Marathon in Highlands Ranch! Back to it's original date in November, this amazing trail run utilizes the Douglas County East/West trail and the pristine Highlands Ranch Community Association's Backcountry Wilderness Area trails.
- Long sleeve technical race shirt
- Goody bag
- Finisher medal
- Music courtesy of the Groove Auto Road Show
- All you can eat pancake breakfast from Flippin' Flap Jacks
- Free beer from Grist Brewing Company to all over 21 year old participants
- Giveaways and more!
13.1 Mile Run
Save 10% when you register 4 or more people!Closed
|Jan 01 - Jul 31||$55.00|
|Aug 01 - Sep 30||$65.00|
|Oct 01 - Nov 05||$75.00|
The Backcountry Wilderness Half Marathon course has spectacular views! The run is a single loop on 95% dirt/crushed gravel trails. Runners will have the potential to view wildlife along the way as well as a soak in the mountain views right here in Highlands Ranch.
Since the Backcountry Wilderness Half Marathon is a trail race in November, there is a potential on race day to encounter mud, snow or ice on the trail. We race rain, shine, sleet or snow!
Additional Course Details
- There will be 4 aid stations available. Since this is a trail race, it is highly recommended that you carry your own hydration. Please respect the trails and follow the principles of LEAVE NO TRACE. Trash cans will be available at each aid station.
- Aid station #1 mile 4.5 = will offer water, lemon-lime Gatorade and Clif Shot energy gels. Restrooms available.
- Mile 7 - restrooms only, no water/food.
- Aid station #2 mile 7.5 = will offer water, lemon-lime Gatorade, Clif Shot energy gels, cookies.
- Aid station #3 mile 11 = will offer water, lemon-lime Gatorade, Clif Shot energy gels, cookies.
- Course will be well marked with mile markers at every mile.
- For the safety of participants and potential Backcountry Wilderness Area wildlife, dogs and strollers are not allowed.
Directions & Parking
From the Boulder area - C470 exit South on University Blvd. Turn right onto Wildcat Reserve Blvd. Left on McArthur Ranch Rd. Paintbrush Park will be on your right, just after the Recreation Center at Southridge.
From the Denver area - C470 exit South on Quebec. Turn right onto McArthur Ranch Rd. Paintbrush Park will be on your left.
Due to events taking place at the Recreation Center, no parking will be available at the Recreation Center at Southridge. Recreation Center will, however, be open for use for race participants prior to and after the race.
Parking will be available in the neighborhoods along Valleybrook Road and surrounding areas. If you live in Highlands Ranch, we strongly encourage you to carpool.
Early Packet Pickup & Race EXPO
Date: Friday, November 7, 2014
Time: 3:00 - 7:00p
Location: Southridge Recreation Center, 4800 McArthur Ranch Road, Highlands Ranch - click HERE for map
There will be NO registration available at packet pickup. We are SOLD OUT!
**YOU MUST BRING YOUR PHOTO ID. NO ONE WILL BE ALLOWED TO PICK UP PACKETS FOR OTHER PARTICIPANTS.
Race Day Packet Pickup
You will be able to pick up your timing bib and race shirt beginning at 7:00 a.m. on race morning. **YOU MUST BRING YOUR PHOTO ID.
Race Day Registration
There will be NO race day registration. We are sold out!
Awards & Results
Race results provided by Colorado Race Timing and will be posted at the event as well as on the Highlands Ranch Race Series website within 24 hours of the event.
Click HERE for the Highlands Ranch Race Series results page to view previous years results.
Additional Race Details
- Restrooms will be available at Paintbrush Park, at the start/finish area (portable toilets) and inside the Recreation Center at Southridge.
- Race fees do not include additional online processing fees and are non-refundable.
- In order to guarantee choice of shirt size please register by October 21st. Shirt quantities are limited and choice of sizes are not guaranteed to those who do not register early.
- We race in all weather conditions!
Run for a Reason….The Backcountry Wilderness Half Marathon is bringing awareness and support to kids battling cancer by partnering with Children’s Hospital Colorado. Join the (local) fight against childhood cancer by fundraising for Children’s Hospital Colorado as part of “Miles for Tuesday”, the Children’s Hospital Colorado charity running team.
Miles for Tuesday was named in honor of Tuesday Whitt from Castle Rock, CO who lost her battle to childhood cancer at the age of 2, and whose courageousness has inspired so many. Since 2009 runners have been joining Miles for Tuesday, and have collectively raised over $125,000 for the Children’s Hospital Colorado.
How to get involved?
- Make a Personal Donation: Include a donation when registering for the Backcountry Wilderness Half Marathon.
- Join the Team and fundraise: Set up a personal fundraising page HERE
There are no minimum fundraising requirements; we just ask that you raise what you can since 100% of all donations contributed and raised by runners on our team will go directly to the benefit of the Children’s Hospital Colorado Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders.
Brought to you by the Highlands Ranch Race Series
This event is one of 8 different events in 2014 hosted by the Highlands Ranch Race Series!
Check out our other great events throughout the year at www.HRraceseries.com.
Be sure to "like" us on Facebook to stay up-to-date on HR Race Series info, specials, and more!
- Nov 08 7:30 AM - Packet Pickup & Race Day Registration
- Nov 08 9:00 AM - Race Start
- Nov 08 10:30 AM - Post Race Party