Asheville Hot Chocolate 10K
Kids Hill Climb & Marshmallow Dash
Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 8:50 AM EST
Welcome to the Asheville Hot Chocolate 10K, Kids Hill Climb and Marshmallow Dash, a race to benefit the non-profit Isaac Dickson Elementary School Parent Teacher Organization(PTO). Enjoy Asheville's flattest 10K followed by a steaming cup (or two!) of hot cocoa for a tasty post-race treat. This event is chip timed by Right on Time Productions and long sleeve t-shirts are guaranteed to all 10K participants. The 1K Kids Hill Climb is limited to children 12 and under (although parents can run along side for free, of course!) And the Marshmallow Dash for our 8 and under crowd! A shorter and safer event for the little ones!
Registration Fees (all values in USD)
|Event Options||Past Price||Price Now|
Aug 30 - Sep 28
Sep 28 - Jan 20
Aug 30 - Sep 28
Sep 28 - Jan 20
Aug 30 - Jan 20
Aug 30 - Jan 20
Event Day Schedule
Jan 22 4:00 PM - Harmony Motors Chocolate Party and Packet Pick Up
Jan 23 5:30 PM - Pasta Dinner
Jan 23 5:30 PM - Friday Evening Packet Pick Up
Jan 24 6:30 AM - Race Day Packet Pick Up
Jan 24 8:20 AM - Marshmallow Dash Start
Jan 24 8:30 AM - 1K Kids Hill Climb Start
Jan 24 8:55 AM - 10K Start
Jan 24 9:00 AM - Kids Zone Opens
This year's course will start and finish in front of the temporary Isaac Dickson School at 90 Montford Ave. Runners will stage in the bus lane which also ends up being an awesome finish line chute as well! The course is a USATF certified 10K (NC14116DF)!
The video below was filmed on a beautiful Christmas(2013) morning, after all the presents were opened. There isn't a snowflake in sight (or Jus' Running sponsored mile marker) but we hope to give you a taste of how AWESOME this course really is! So, please sit back, prop your feet up, pop open a frosty Gatorade (or toasty-warm hot chocolate!) and enjoy. ~ Tim and Leslie Grotenhuis, Race Directors
All 10K participants should plan on finishing the race by 11:00 a.m. to receive an official time. At 11:00 a.m., the traffic controls on the course will cease. Those remaining on the course can still proceed but should travel on sidewalks and stop at all traffic lights. Race officials will remain on the course to monitor and assist all participants until they reach the finish line. There is no time limit for either the 1K Kids Hill climb or the Marshmallow Dash.
Please read carefully:
- I want to remind everyone that the first and last part of the 10K course is open to traffic. Repeat. The course is not completely closed to traffic. Please, be mindful of traffic, stay to the right side of the road as much as possible and do not run more than two (2) abreast if you can help it. STAY AWAY FROM THE MIDDLE and run in the direction of traffic.
- When traveling under the train trestle in the second and sixth miles, please do not cross over the road and go under the bridge against traffic. In the beginning of the race, it is a bit congested at this point, so just be aware and hold your line until through the trestle.
- Houston Street may be icy and slippery. Houston Place has some potholes and UNEVEN terrain. Please be very careful.
- We will have either volunteers or police or both at all intersections. All course volunteers will be wearing orange vests. In case of emergency during the race, please notify the nearest volunteer/APD AND call 911.
- Please check out the course video if you are not familiar with the course.
- Finally, it is a winter race, so please keep you eye on the Weather Channel and dress appropriately. If we have a weather emergency, our website's main page and Facebook page will be updated and emails will go out.
An on-site BAG CHECK will also be available.
10K Hill Climb: Prizes will be awarded to the top three male and female overall finishers and to the first male and female in the Masters Division (40+) and Grand Masters Division (50+). Awards will go to the top three finishers in each of the following age divisions: 14&U; 15-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70-74; 75-79; 80-84; 85 and over. Overall placers not eligible for age group awards. The 10K Awards will begin at 11:00 a.m.
1K Hill Climb: The top three boys and top three girls will each receive a special award. In addition, every child gets a shirt and a ribbon! The 1K Kids Hill Climb is limited to children 12 and under (although parents can run along side for free, of course!) The 1K awards will be given out immediately after the 1K race is complete.
Marshmallow Dash: Every child gets a shirt and a ribbon! The Marshmallow Dash is limited to children 8 and under and parents are strongly encouraged to stay by their child's side the whole dash. The awards will be given out immediately after the dash is complete.
We recommend the use of the three parking garages listed below, with an important difference from the past few years. In the past we have offered shuttles from these parking facilities to the school, but since the race start and finish is a half mile closer to these garages, we have chosen not to run shuttles.
For an example of the time it should take you, I have walked from the Civic Center garage to 90 Montford Ave, which is a distance of 0.4 miles in 8 minutes.
We have the following parking lots available for use on race morning:
1. City parking garage at Civic Center (0.4 miles from start)
2. City parking garage on Wall Street (0.4 miles from start)
3. City parking garage on Rankin Ave. (0.5 miles from start)
4. Chamber of Commerce (all but upper portion of lot).
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER RACES FROM KICK IT EVENTS
REGISTRATION FOR THE THOMAS WOLFE 8K IS REGISTRATION FOR THE BAND AID RACES
NOW OPEN OPENS 9/28/14
3 Cup Sponsors
Instant results can be found at the City Mac van post ran.
Check immediately if you placed in your age group category.
Post Race food - bananas, maple creme cookies and bagels-
as well as scratch made Hot Chocolate and VEGAN Hot Chocolate
will be provided by EARTH FARE.
Supporters of our event and our runners since 2008.
Western North Carolina's Running headquarters!
2 Cup Sponsors
1 Cup Sponsors
Event Contact Information
Name: Leslie Grotenhuis