Ride for Safety
In Memory of Josh Duncan, Jeff Pierce, and Dale Willenberg
Spartanburg Freewheelers Safety Committee continues to develop initiatives to help make cycling safer.
This ride is to help raise funds to support these initiatives and bring awareness to what we can do to help improve our safety. Ride Theme is "Be Seen". Drivers are more distracted today than ever. We need to make ourselves more visible.
*All children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Free - Custom Hi VIS Defeet Socks (first 175 Registered) - limited qty by size. We will do our best to accommodate requested sock size.
Free - Custom - Personalized Laminated Emergency ID Card to all registered riders - Info will be pulled from your registration info so the cards can be preprinted
For those that Preregister, you will be entered into drawings sponsored by The Spartanburg TREK Store.
NOTE: Ride Routes have been changed (slightly)
Rest stop is at the same location as last year > at Guy Roofing on Parris Bridge Road at miles 23.5/15/2 on each route.
Standard Safe Cycling Group Ride Requirements:
- ID with In Case of Emergency contact - required on your person/bike (not on your mobile phone).
- Helmets required (glasses recommended)
- Rear Daytime Blinker Lights: REQUIRED - BE SEEN. A "Daytime" Blinker hurts your eyes if you look directly at it from arms length. Make sure that your light is charged. Lights need to point directly back (not to the ground or to the sky)
- Headlights: Highly recommend. Be seen by oncoming cars and drivers turning
- No Earbuds – to hear cars and fellow riders
- Obey Safe Cycling Practices
- Do Not engage/ respond/ react to angry motorist. Document - video/ pictures/ write to tell authorities if needed
- Be Open to Safety Feedback – we need to watch out for each other.
$20.00May 13 - Jul 3
- Dave Coggins, Freewheelers of Spartanburg