2-7-2015 3RD ANNUAL POLAR BEAR 8 HOUR OBSTACLE CHALLENGE
WE WELCOME BACK OUR TITLE SPONSOR FOR A 2ND YEAR IN A ROW...
Are you ready for 10K (6.2+ miles) in just "ONE" loop, OVER 60 obstacles, trail running, hills, mud, ice, and snow?! Do you think you’re up for the ULTIMATE challenge, in the middle of winter?? All the braggin’ rights go the person who can COMPLETE the most LAPS in 8 hours! Only the tough and hardy will beat the odds on our never ending loop of physical and mental challenges!
ADULT - 13 & UP BUFFET & PARTY TENT ACCESS ALL DAY
CHILD 12 & Under ACCESS TO BUFFET & PARTY TENT ALL DAY
ELITE & OPEN HEAT
JOURNEYMAN / NON-COMPETITIVE DIVISION
Join us for 8 hours of obstacle adventure racing in the SNOW sponsored this year by our favorite footwear company, ICEBUG USA!! Winner of the most laps completed on our INSANE 6+ MILE OBSTACLE COURSE takes home the big prize and bragging rights! Check us out at www.shalehilladventure.com
Take breaks "between laps" in our enclosed heated "ICEBUG" PARTY tent with ALL DAY food buffet & beverages included in your race fee.
On course, there will be 4 bonfires going at all times to give you a moment to warm up right next to the 4 water stations.
EMTs will be available to address any injuries or hypothermic needs throughout the day. The recommendation is to stay well hydrated and nourished throughout the day even though you may not feel thirsty due to the colder temperatures. Cold weather clothing and "at least 4 clothing changes" should be brought with you and ready in your gear box/bag for changes between laps (including dry running shoes). Dry/waterproof gloves, head coverings and footwear is imperitive to avoid frostbite in your extremeties!!!
** ALL PARTICIPANTS RECEIVE A CUSTOM MEDAL, T-SHIRT & ACCESS TO THE ALL DAY FOOD/BEVERAGE BUFFET plus...
* INDIVIDUAL MEN'S & WOMEN'S DIVISIONS TOP 3 PLACES EARN SPECIAL PRIZE BASKETS full of goodies and SWAG from our local sponsors.
* MASTERS DIVISION is for any male/female age 50 & Over will receive a prize basket full of goodies and SWAG for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place.
* TEAM RECOGNITION for the most "average" laps completed among all members. The winning team members will receive Training Visit Passes to Shale Hill to be used in the 2015 Season.
TEAM DIVISION (min. 2 persons) for any male/female combination of team members. The team with the most "average" laps completed among all members is the winner of FREE Training Day Passes to a future 2015 visit at Shale Hill Adventure Farm awarded to each team member! Also, valuable coupons will be awarded to team members to our store for great equipment to get you to the next level of your OCR training at www.shalehilladventure.com
* The "Elite & Open Heat Divisions" of this race are NOT for beginners or the average person who has never tried Obstactle Racing before (particulary in winter)! You must be physically fit to participate in this race that will be very challenging with nearly 60 military type obstacles, hills, shale, ice, possible snow, mud, trail running, uneven ground, walls, hay bales, monkey bars, 10' vertical walls, rope climbs, barbed wire crawls, etc. on EACH lap! The winning contenders of this race will be hard pressed to complete 3 or 4 laps (that's nearly 24 miles and over 200 obstacles in an 8 hour period)!!
* JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN & TAKE A LOOP WITHOUT PENALTY AT THE WORLD FAMOUS SHALE HILL COURSE?? Then sign up for our Journeyman/Non-Competitve Division is an option for athletes who want to take their time and perhaps only complete a lap or two. There will be "no-penalties" awarded for failed obtacles. This is a non-competitive division and your time will not be counted towards final placement for prizes.
SPECTATORS who would like unlimited access to the ALL-DAY BUFFET and warming tent to support and cheer on their comrades must purchase a SPECTATOR PASS. Space is limited to competitors, volunteers and a limited number of spectators due to occupancy constraints and spectators will be "required" to purchase a spectator pass prior to the event to gain access. Sales end on Wednesday, February 4, 2015. If you have family, friends, and/or children who would like to see you compete, but are not interested in purchasing a Spectator Pass, they are welcome to dress warm and cheer you on the course outdoors "free of charge." PRE-REGISTER TO SAVE & RESERVE A T-SHIRT!!! If available, Spectator Passes to the ALL-DAY Buffet will be available at the door for $45 and children 12 & under are $20.00 (t-shirts not included if you sign up at the door).
To accomodate spectators that will "not" be purchasing a Spectator Pass, we are within walking distance (less than 1/8 mile) to the center of town. You can drive, or walk, to THE WHEEL INN Restaurant or the BENSON VILLAGE STORE for convenience items, coffee, hot chocolate, HOT food and cozy table-side service. Drive past Shale Hill Adventure Farm (on your left side of Lake Road), continue another 1/8 mile and you are in the middle of Benson with THE WHEEL INN on your right and the BENSON VILLAGE STORE at the intersection!!
Discount Codes do not apply to the Spectator Pass, so we would appreciate if you would save them for your next entry as a competitor :-)
With your purchase of a SPECTATOR PASS, you will also receive a POLAR BEAR T-SHIRT!!! Please select your size during the registration process. Shirts are only available to "pre-registered" spectators. Shale Hill swag will be available for purchase during the event! We have sweatshirts, tech shirts, t-shirts, hats, Moxie Gear gaiters, and Icebug Footwear!!
Spectators who would like to take 1 pass through the buffet will be able to purchase a meal ticket on the day of the event for $15pp or $10 for children 12 & under. This price does not include a t-shirt or all-day access to the heated party/buffet area.
No dogs permitted in the gym/buffet area or on the grounds. Sorry, we love dogs, we have a dogs, but for the safety and comfort of all our patrons, we do not allow dogs.
** PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FOOD VENDOR AND SERVICE STAFF by purchasing a Spectator Pass. We will "not" allow outside meals/food brought in from the outside unless you have a food allergy and you have notified us of your concerns.
CHECK-IN will be available the afternoon/evening before the POLAR BEAR on Friday, February 6th starting 4pm through 9pm only. If you arrive after 9pm, you will have to check-in the next morning starting at 5:30am, but you will need to park in the general parking area and then carry your gear box to the gym/barn. Gear boxes can be dropped off at the barn/tent area at this time. PLEASE FOLLOW THE PARKING SIGNS on LAKE ROAD to lead you to the EARLY check-in area. You will have enough time to unload your gear box and then return your car to the parking area in the field below as we have very limited parking available at the barn/tent area. You can return to the barn/tent to finish signing in and hang out with us to chat and meet your fellow competitors, volunteers and race directors, Rob and Jill Butler!
On Saturday, Feb. 7th, BREAKFAST will start at 6:00am. Post time is promptly at 7am for the Elite Wave, so please allow yourself plenty of time to get dressed, put on your pinny numbers, settle in and time to eat a good breakfast (did we mention we have BACON!!!)! The racers briefing will be at 6:15am in the barn/tent area. Line-up on the start line for the first heat will be at 6:55am. Departure for the first lap will leave at 7:00am SHARP!! Subsequent waves will depart promptly at 7:15am, 7:30am & 8:00am for the Journeyman Division.
If you are only planning on doing a couple of laps or so, then PLEASE consider signing up for the Journeyman/Non-Competitive Division. Please keep in mind that you should still attend the competitor's briefing at 6:15am so you don't miss anything in regards to the course! After 7am, Rob (Course designer/director) starts out on the course following everyone. It will take an average of 2-3 hours to complete 1 lap. So, plan your time accordingly and dress for cold weather running!
We are looking for volunteers to help us during the event! We have several openings to help with registration, spotters on course, at the finish line (timers and lap counters), runners, penalty box, and the buffet. Please click the "VOLUNTEER" button on the left side of this page and you will be directed to the duties we are looking to fill. Also, please call or email us at ShaleHillAdventure@aol.com to let us know what your availability is that day.
Volunteers who give 4 hours of their time or more get a FREE t-shirt, a buffet pass, and an entry to a future Benson Bear Obstacle Challenge Race in 2015!!! If you do not want a race entry, we can offer you 2 FREE training passes to our obstacle course to use anytime in 2015.
A lot of you have asked for advice on what to wear. Below is a list of "suggested" clothing and footwear to make your racing experience as comfortable as possible :-)
* Headband to cover ears or breathable running hat. Bring extras for multiple laps. Small, foldable so that it can fit in your pocket if you overheat.
* Sunscreen or moisturizer to prevent windburn and chaffing on your face & ears. Bees wax type lip balms to keep lips moist.
* Upper body - long sleeve wool synthetic base layers and breathable outerlayers to keep you warm but allow perspiration to evaporate. If you are wet and sweaty and stop or slow down, you will get chilled.
* Lower body - long running tights layered with winter/wind-stop type running pants on top. Many run with tights and long athletic shorts.
* Some people like to wear a thin wet-suit type material that keeps you warm if you happen to get wet from snow, slush/water (i.e. Frogskins from Australia)
Hands, shins & Feet
* Close fitting leather/sythetic gloves with some padding for warmth, but not too bulky. Attach them to your shirt/jacket cuff so you can easily slip them on and off depending on the obstacle where you may need to use your bare hands (i.e. monkey bars, ropes, traverse wall).
* Carry some hand warmers in your pockets to warm your hands up between obstacles.
* Gaiters are suggested to help keep debris/snow/ice from getting in over the top of your shoes or boots. We sell ICEBUG Sock Gaiters and find they work very well any variety of shoe brands.
* Shin Gaiters by MOXIE GEAR (from Australia). These are sythetic, durable sleeve gaiters for your lower calf and shin protection. They fit between the top of the ankle to below your knee. They keep you warm, dry and with the extra padding on the shins they provide excellent protection from superficial injuries sustained on obstacles. MOXIE gaiters are available for sale in our store. Size S, M & L. Limited sizing and shin models available for sale. Otherwise, we can place an order for you :-)
* Footwear - It's not wonder we love ICEBUG FOOTWEAR from Sweden for our course. We put ICEBUG on the North American map for OCR when they were first introduced to us back in 2013!! ICEBUG specializes in carbide studded performance trail running shoes and boots for the OCR and Adventure Racing. ICEBUG is our title sponsor for all of 2015 and select models and sizes will be available to demo on the day of the race. If you like them, and we know you will, you can order a pair for the remainder of your 2015 OCR season and beyond!! Hands down, this is an Icebug course, and we endorse ICEBUG Footwear for all your Adventure Racing and OCR needs!! Check out www.icebug.com for all the latest models available and order your next pair through Shale Hill for special race participant discounting :-)
February 6 4:00 PM EST - EARLY CHECK-IN 4pm-9pm
February 6 6:00 PM EST - GUEST SPEAKER - ICEBUG FOOTWEAR
February 7 5:30 AM EST - LATE CHECK-IN
February 7 6:00 AM EST - ALL-DAY BUFFET OPENS
February 7 6:15 AM EST - RACER'S BRIEFING
February 7 7:00 AM EST - WAVE #1: ELITE HEAT STARTS
February 7 7:15 AM EST - WAVE #2
February 7 7:30 AM EST - WAVE #3
February 7 8:00 AM EST - WAVE #4 - JOURNEYMAN DIVISION
February 7 4:30 PM EST - AWARDS CEREMONY