Saturday April 1, 2017 9:00 a.m.
Elmira District Secondary School, Elmira, ON
Held in conjunction with the 2017 Elmira Maple Syrup Festival
The Elmira Maple Syrup Festival has been recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the World’s Largest Single Day Maple Syrup Festival when 66,529 people attended in 2000. Attracting even more people today, this festival has reached attendance levels close to 80,000.
What is a Pancake Mile? Just eat a pancake, run a quarter mile. X4. It's not for the weak of stomach!
REGISTRATION limited to 120 participants in the Race (20 per heat). Unlimited participation in the 'Just for FUN!'. Email Lloyd@RunWaterloo.com if you wish to be added to the waiting list if the event is sold out.
1 Mile Race
|Dec 10 - Mar 26||$20.00|
|Mar 27 - Mar 30||$25.00|
1 Mile Just for FUN!
|Dec 10 - Mar 26||$15.00|
|Mar 27 - Mar 30||$20.00|
This event is part of Run Waterloo's Run Plus series.
These events are truly running events, but with a twist. Whether it's pancakes, colour, mud or a Santa suit, this plus experience makes these runs fun and fresh.
Explore all Run Plus events.
REGISTRATION POLICY: All entries are non-refundable, non-transferable, and non-deferrable. There are no exceptions once a person has registered.
REGISTRATION limited to 120 participants in the Race (20 per heat). Unlimited participation in the 'Just for FUN!'.
Mail in: To 2 Weberlyn Crescent, Conestogo N0B 1N0 by Tuesday March 28 at 5:00 p.m.
Drop off: At Runners’ Choice, 55 Erb St E, Waterloo by Tuesday March 28 at 5:00 p.m.
Online: Right here at www.RaceRoster.com by Thursday March 30 at 6:00 p.m.
Race day entry fee is $25.
RACE DAY - REGISTRATION AND KIT PICKUP
Will take place at Elmira District Secondary School from 8:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
For the 1st time, The Pancake Mile will be held outdoors!
Runners will be divided into heats, based on their estimated mile time given at the time of registration.
Heats start at 9:00 a.m. and heats will run every 30 minutes, with the last competitve heat running at 10:30 a.m.
Slower runners will run in the early heats, and faster runners will run in the later heats.
There will be 4 competitive heats in total.
The last heat will be the Just for FUN! participants, and will be run at 11:00 a.m.
9:00 a.m. - Heat 1 - Estimated Mile Time - Over 10 Minutes
9:30 a.m. - Heat 2 - Estimated Mile Time - 8 - 10 Minutes
10:00 a.m. - Heat 3 - Estimated Mile Time - Under 8 Minutes
10:30 a.m. - Heat 4 - Estimated Mile Time - Under 8 Minutes (fast section)
11:00 a.m. - Heat 5 - Just for FUN! participants
1. Each competitor must eat four standard** pancakes and run four 400m laps, ideally on a track.
2. The entire pancake must be consumed* before you start running, within the transition area which is the 10 meter zone after the start/finish line on a certified 400m track or equivalent.
3. The race begins with the first pancake in the participant's hand, at the start line.
4. A standard pancake shall weigh at least 50 grams, and each pancake shall weigh at least 50 grams. Maple syrup is optional and can be added to the pancake after the weighing, but will add additional weight to the pancake.
5. Competitors who vomit before they finish the race must complete one penalty lap (400m) at the end of the race (immediately after the completion of their 4th lap). Note: Vomiting more than once during the race still requires only one penalty lap at the end.
6. The Race Director reserves the right to to disqualify any participant who does not comply with the "spirit of the event". In all disputes, the Race Director's decision will be final.
* Officials will ensure that the entire pancake is consumed before the next lap is commenced.
** A standard pancake shall weigh at least 50 grams, and each pancake shall weigh at least 50 grams. Maple syrup is optional and will add additional weight to the pancake.
Do you want to participate, but with a relaxed interpretation of the rules?
Do you really, really like pancakes, and want to eat more than 1 pancake every quarter mile?
Do you have dietary restrictions, so you want to bring your own pancakes?
Do you want to bring custon toppings like whipped cream and sprinkles?
Do you want to push a child in a stroller?
Do you want to dress up like a pancake, or another costume?
Do you want to run backwards?
You don't think you can eat 4 pancakes (this year!) and just want to see what you can do?
You don't think you can run a mile (this year!) and just want to see how far you can run?
So for whatever reason that you cannot abide by the official rules but would still like to participate, this category is for you.
This category will not be timed and there will not be any results. It is Just for FUN!
This category will be run at 11:00 a.m., after all of the timed heats of The Pancake Mile have been completed.
Results will be available race day, and after the race at results.runwaterloo.com
Check out our website at RunWaterloo.com for thousands of race photos - all free to download.
April 1 09:00 AM EDT - Beginning at 9:00 am with heats every 30 minutes (slowest to fastest). Just for FUN! will be last.
Lloyd Schmidt, Pancake Mile Race Director