2018 AYLESFORD LAKE TRIATHLON
The 4th Annual Aylesford Lake Triathlon will take place on Sunday, July 15, 2018.
This years event will offer Individual Try-a-Tri, Sprint and Olympic distance race options. There will also be a Sprint-TEAM race option.
Aylesford lake is a beautiful public beach park site with a clear lake swim, a challenging bike route including part of Fox Mountain Road and a smooth run on the North River Road.
FOR THE SAFETY OF COMPETITORS, THE MAIN ACCESS ROAD WILL BE CLOSED TO TRAFFIC (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF RACE OFFICIALS) AS PART OF THE RACE COURSE AT 8:00 AM AND WILL NOT RE-OPEN TO GENERAL TRAFFIC UNTIL AFTER THE EVENT IS COMPLETED. So plan for the main access road to be closed from 8:00am to 12:00 noon and possibly longer.
If you will need to leave early, please park at Lake George and bike down (it is about a 2.5km ride past the park entrance, mostly downhill).
If you choose to park roadside, you must have all 4 wheels of your vehicle off the pavement. Failure to do so increases the danger and risk to riders and runners.
Please bring a BRIGHT swim cap for the swim portion of the event.
Directions to Aylesford Lake Public Beach Park
1) From Hwy 101, take exit 13 for Alton/New Ross/Kentville.
2) Head south on Highway 12. (i.e. heading away from Kentville).
3) Turn Right on English Mountain Road (sign for Aylesford Lake)
4) Turn Left on North River Road
5) Travel approximately 15 Km on North River Road.
6) Aylesford Lake Park will be on your Left.
*) Lake George parking is roughly another 2.5 k past the park entrance on the Right.
THERE WILL BE NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION.
6:00 AM - Site open
6:30 AM - Registration/Check-in/Race Kit Pickup
7:00 AM - Water Temp/Air Temp (Determine wetsuit legal or not)
7:30 AM - Mandatory Pre-Race Briefing (Safety, Rules)
7:45 AM - 10 minute Swim Warm-up
8:00 AM - Start Olympic Distance Triathlon and Aquabike Races
Road to Aylesford Lake parking lot closed to car/truck traffic
8:40 AM - Start Sprint Distance Races (Team, Individual)
8:50 AM - Try-a-Tri Start
9:10 AM - Swim Cutoff FOR ALL EVENTS
11:40 AM - Awards Presentations Start
THE SMALL PRINT
The Aylesford Lake Triathlon is sanctioned by Triathlon Nova Scotia (TNS) and is part of the 2018 TNS Points Series. The event will be conducted as per the 2018 ITU Competition Rules. We encourage all participants to familiarize themselves with the rules, here are the highlights;
1) A wetsuit ruling will be made 1 hr prior to the event. Wetsuit cut-off is 22C (at the TD's discretion). If wetsuits are not allowed, the use of a swim-skin is allowed however it cannot be removed in T1 and must be worn for the duration of the event
2) Maximum-stay times for the swim segment will be enforced. These are 30 (thirty) minutes for the sprint and 70 (seventy) minutes for the Standard distance
3) The bike segment for all distances/types will be non-drafting.
4) An approved bike helmet must be worn (on and clipped) at all times when in possession of the bike
5) The torso must be covered during the bike and run segments,
6) Headphones covering or inserted into the ears, bone-conduction headphones and smart helmets are not allowed
7) Bib numbers must be worn on the front during the run. They are not required during the swim or bike.
Swim 350m, Bike 10 Km, Run 2.5 Km
Swim 750 m, Bike 20 km, Run 5 km Course Description: Swim entry is between the lifeguard chair and the orange buoy. Swim keeping the the buoy on your left shoulder. Keeping each turn/buoy on your left shoulder, Exit swim at the round the orange buoy and exiting the water to the swim in entrance transition, Once you are in possession of your bike proceed to bike mount line. Heading out the park entrance using the left partition of the laneway, turning left onto North River Road. Proceeding past Lake George you will STOP, at the stop sign. Turn right onto Aylesford road. Proceed to the10 km turn point which will be clearly marked with people there to let you know its the sprint turn complete the loop and Return to transition. Leaving transition, keeping to the right side of the road proceed out of the park turning right at then entry and run to the 2.5k sprint turn around marker. Proceed back into the park and through to the finish chute.
Swim 1500 m, Bike 40 Km, Run 10 Km The swim entry is between the lifeguard chair and the orange buoy. Keep the buoys on your left during the swim. Exit swim at the round the orange buoy and repeat the loop to complete the 1500m swim. Exit the water after loop 2 and enter transition. Once in possession of your bike proceed to bike mount line. Head out of the park keeping to the left of the cones. Turn left onto North River Road. Proceed past Lake George and STOP at the stop sign. Turn right onto Aylesford road. Proceed to the 10 km turn point. Return to the park entrance on North River Road, turn and repeat the loop. Returning to the transition remember to dismount at or before the dismount line. Rack your bike. Begin the run crossing the timing map leaving transition. Keep to the right of the cones on your way out of the park. Turn right at the park entrance and run to the 5k turn around point. Return to the park and cross the Finish Line mat setup to the left of the transition exi
Swim 750m - Bike 20 Km - Run 5 Km Teams of 2 or 3 people. Teams can be mixed gender.
Swim 1500m - 40 Km Bike