Thank you for joining River City Domestic Violence Center in our 13th Annual Walk A Mile in Their Shoes, A Virtual Event.
Why do we walk?
We walk for survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, and child abuse. We walk to show them that they are not alone. This year, more than ever, we come together as a community to show our support during these isolating times. In times of job loss, increased stress and isolation, rates of domestic violence increase.
- In the US, 20 people per minute are abused by a domestic partner. That equates to more than 10 million women and men a year.
- Every 73 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted; and every 9 minutes, that victim is a child.
- Only 3% of human trafficking victims are ever identified.
River City Domestic Violence Center is a nonprofit agency that has been supporting survivors since 1975. All funds raised by this event will go directly to survivors by way of providing emergency shelter, relocation assistance, food, basic needs, and other services to help them navigate through their journey to healing.
- In 2019, we served 357 survivors; 74 of them were children.
- Last year, we provided 1,757 nights in our shelter to survivors of violence.
How do we walk?
- Register to walk as an individual, family or team. Check out this years specially designed T-Shirt and get one for the whole family!
- Set a fundraising goal and start collecting pledges right away; don’t forget, prizes will be awarded to teams and individuals that collect the most pledges.
- Get out and walk between August 11-18th ! If you would like to pick up the signature red heals to walk it, let us know! You can wear anything red or even carry a sign. Let’s show our support by being out there and present for all to see that Yankton believes survivors!
- Snap a picture or a video of your walk and post it to social media, tagging #YanktonWeBelieve and 5 friends that you would like to CHALLENGE to Walk A Mile in Their Shoes and show survivors they are not alone.
Together, we can create a lasting presence on our streets, on our social media pages, and into the homes of survivors, spreading the message that “Together, we walk with you”.
$10.00Jul 1 - Aug 19
|2||Yankton Fire Rocks!||$534.85|
|3||First Dakota Bank||$370.00|
Yankton Fire WalkersRaised:
First Dakota Rock StarsRaised:
Heart and Sole