2021 Cleveland Marathon Volunteers
The Union Home Mortgage Cleveland Marathon and related events, scheduled for May 15-16, have been postponed until the fall due to COVID-19.
The marathon team is committed to holding a safe in-person event and has been working closely with health officials at the City of Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, and the State of Ohio since the summer of 2020 to do so. Ultimately, the city advised that the race be moved to the fall.
The health and safety of runners, volunteers, staff, and spectators are the marathon’s top priorities, and the team will continue to work with officials and its medical partner, University Hospitals Sports Medicine, to hold an event that is safe for all who participate. For those who do not feel comfortable with an in-person race, virtual options for all race distances will be available.
A specific date has not been set yet for the fall as the marathon team is actively working with the City of Cleveland on scheduling a date that does not conflict with a Cleveland Browns home game. An update is expected once the 2021 NFL schedule has been released.
Please sign up now to volunteer in the Fall, 2021. We will notify you once the dates are set! Thank you for your patience.
2021 Volunteer Roles
Volunteer roles include but are not limited to:
- Water Stations
- Start and Finish Line Marshals
- Bib & T-Shirt Distribution
- Course Marshals
- Pre-Race Preparation Activities
*When signing up, please choose the day that works best for you and we will assign you to a shift and role as we get closer to the event.
2021 Race Updates
- The location of the race and the routes will be different from past years. We will share the new location and course maps once they are finalized.
- Packet pick-up will not be held at the Convention Center. We will have more information on the location of bib and t-shirt pick up.
- There will be an interactive Virtual Health and Fitness Expo with sponsor and vendor links available for participants and volunteers to access. There will be no post-race activities. Upon finishing, participants must retrieve their recovery items and move through the corral to exit.
- There will be contact-free water stations (limited on-course). Participants will be advised to bring their own recovery items, however, there will be recovery items in the finish line area.
COVID-19 Safety and Health Guidelines for Race Weekend
- Volunteers will be required to follow safety rules and guidelines set forth by the local, state, and race authorities.
- Social distancing will be enforced at the start, during the race, and at the finish line.
- Masks must be worn during your shift at all times.
- Hand sanitizer must be used before entering the race venue and at restrooms
*Additional requirements may be put into place as we get closer to the race. Please check our website for updates.
- Event contact
- Volunteer Coordinator