What is the 12K's of Christmas?
The 12K's of Christ is part of Run Calgary’s virtual race series. This 12KM race was created to give runners the opportunity to partake in the Christmas spirit of running from wherever they are in the world. Your virtual run or walk can be completed anywhere, and on any surface (trail, road, treadmill, track), anytime during the first 12 days of December, all while supporting our chosen charity, Seniors Secret Service. You can run your 12KMs all at once, or broken up over the race period.
What is included in my race kit?
Your 12K's of Christmas swag kit includes:
- A Run Calgary “Ugly Christmas sweater technical shirt” (fully sublimated long-sleeve technical shirt)
- Christmas-themed race bib
- A Christmas styled medal that doubles as a Christmas tree ornament
- 12 chances to win prizing during the 12 day race period
- Curated Christmas Spotify playlist
- Extra stocking stuffers for those who choose to receive their package by curbside pickup
Is this a family-friendly race?
You bet. In 2021 we have added youth sized shirts so you can wrangle up the whole family to participate together. Additionally, if you register three or more participants in one transaction you automatically receive a group discount of 10%.
When will I get my race packet in the mail?
Packages will be mailed the week of November 14th. Please note that packages are sent via standard mail and will not have a tracking number.
When and where do I pick up my package via curbside pickup?
Curbside pick-up at the Run Calgary Headquarters - Unit 17 - 1515 Highfield Cres. SE:
Thursday November 25 - noon to 6pm
Friday November 26 - noon to 4pm
Monday November 29 - 10am to 4pm
Tuesday July 9 - noon to 6pm
What do I do when I arrive at curbside pickup?
- Please park in an assigned stall out front and then call our office number (403-264-2996)
- Be prepared to tell us what stall you're in, colour and make of your car, how many packages you are picking up, and the full names of the people you are picking up for.
- Someone will bring out your swag to your car and put it in your trunk or through a window.
Do I need to run all at once or can I break up the KM’s throughout the duration of the challenge?
You can run your 12KMs all at once, or broken up over the race period. If you plan to break up the KMs throughout the duration of the race period, you will not be able to track your race using the RunKeeper race option or use its associated features. You can still use the Virtual Results Leaderboard, just track your time and keep track of your cumulative time!
How do I track my run?
- It is not not mandatory to track your time for the virtual race.
- For those who wish to track their time, there are a number of tracking options, including RunKeeper which syncs automatically to your Race Roster account and the Leaderboard.
- Tracking your time but don't want to use RunKeeper? You are welcome to run using your favorite app, or a good old fashioned watch. You will just need to ensure you make a note of, or take a screen-capture or picture of your finishing time. You will then need to manually upload your time and optional screenshot/picture to the Leaderboard.
- Please note, if you plan to break up the KMs throughout the duration of the race period, you will not be able to track your run with the RunKeeper race option or use its associated features.
What are Audio Cues and how do I use them?
We are with you every step of the way and we want to cheer you on no matter where you are. First, follow the instructions for racing using RunKeeper. Then, make sure you have enabled the Audio Cues feature on RunKeeper before your race. Make sure your phone volume is turned up to ensure you hear all the surprises we have recorded for you, which will play throughout the duration of your race. Please note, at this time, this feature is only available for those choosing to run the full 12KM at once and who have enabled this race feature on the RunKeeper app.
How do I use the Virtual Results Leaderboard?
- If you are using RunKeeper to track your run, your results will automatically upload to the Virtual Leaderboard.
- If you are not using RunKeeper, and need to post manually, simply head to the results page and “Submit Virtual Result”. Your confirmation number and last name will be needed to confirm your registration before submitting your results. You also have the option to upload a photo or screenshot of your time. Please note that only one photo/screenshot can be uploaded for each participant.
- If you want to race yourself and improve your time you can change your result on the Leaderboard, but this will have to be done manually. You can only sync your run with RunKeeper once.
- The Leaderboard is an honour system, and therefore there are no time-based awards and/or qualifying times.
- Click on your name in the Leaderboard to access and download your finisher certificate.
What can I win?
Use the #runcalgaryvirtual and tag @runcalgary for chances to win great prizes each day during the race window. You will have to wait to find out!