Frequently Asked Questions
What is Flapjack 15?
The Flapjack 15 is part of Run Calgary’s virtual race series. This 15KM race was created to give runners the opportunity to partake in the Western spirit of the Calgary Stampede from wherever they are in the world. Your virtual run or walk can be completed anywhere, and on any surface (trail, road, treadmill, track), anytime during the Calgary Stampede, all while supporting our chosen charity, Youth Centres of Calgary (YCC). You can run your 15KMs all at once, or broken up over the race period.
What is included in my race kit?
Your Flapjack 15 kit includes:
- A Run Calgary “denim western shirt” (fully sublimated short-sleeve technical shirt)
- Western-themed race bib
- A cowpoke-approved finisher’s medal that is wearable as a lapel pin
- Extra goodies for those who choose to receive their package by curbside pickup including pancake mix courtesy of Smitty's
Is this a family-friendly race?
You bet. In 2021 we have added youth sized shirts so you can wrangle up the whole family to participate together. Additionally, if you register three or more participants in one transaction you automatically receive a group discount of 10%.
When will I get my race packet in the mail?
Packages will be mailed the week of June 22nd. Please note that packages are sent via standard mail and will not have a tracking number.
When and where do I pick up my package via curbside pickup?
Curbside pick-up at the Run Calgary Headquarters - Unit 17 - 1515 Highfield Cres. SE:
Tuesday July 6 - 10am - 4pm
Wednesday July 7 - 10am - 6:30pm
Thursday July 8 - noon - 6:30pm
Friday July 9 - noon - 4pm
What do I do when I arrive at curbside pickup?
- Please park in an assigned stall out front and then call our office number (403-264-2996)
- Be prepared to tell us what stall you're in, colour and make of your car, how many packages you are picking up, and the full names of the people you are picking up for.
- Someone will bring out your swag to your car and put it in your trunk or through a window.
Do I need to run all at once or can I break up the KM’s throughout the duration of the challenge?
You can run your 15KMs all at once, or broken up over the race period. If you plan to break up the KMs throughout the duration of the race period, you will not be able to track your race using the RunKeeper race option or use its associated features. You can still use the Virtual Results Leaderboard, just track your time and keep track of your cumulative time!
How do I track my run?
- It is not not mandatory to track your time for the virtual race.
- For those who wish to track their time, there are a number of tracking options, including RunKeeper which syncs automatically to your Race Roster account and the Leaderboard.
- Tracking your time but don't want to use RunKeeper? You are welcome to run using your favorite app, or a good old fashioned watch. You will just need to ensure you make a note of, or take a screen-capture or picture of your finishing time. You will then need to manually upload your time and optional screenshot/picture to the Leaderboard.
- Please note, if you plan to break up the KMs throughout the duration of the race period, you will not be able to track your run with the RunKeeper race option or use its associated features.
What are Audio Cues and how do I use them?
We are with you every step of the way and we want to cheer you on no matter where you are. First, follow the instructions for racing using RunKeeper. Then, make sure you have enabled the Audio Cues feature on RunKeeper before your race. Make sure your phone volume is turned up to ensure you hear all the surprises we have recorded for you, which will play throughout the duration of your race. Please note, at this time, this feature is only available for those choosing to run the full 15KM at once and who have enabled this race feature on the RunKeeper app.
How do I use the Virtual Results Leaderboard?
- If you are using RunKeeper to track your run, your results will automatically upload to the Virtual Leaderboard.
- If you are not using RunKeeper, and need to post manually, simply head to the results page and “Submit Virtual Result”. Your confirmation number and last name will be needed to confirm your registration before submitting your results. You also have the option to upload a photo or screenshot of your time. Please note that only one photo/screenshot can be uploaded for each participant.
- If you want to race yourself and improve your time you can change your result on the Leaderboard, but this will have to be done manually. You can only sync your run with RunKeeper once.
- The Leaderboard is an honour system, and therefore there are no time-based awards and/or qualifying times.
- Click on your name in the Leaderboard to access and download your finisher certificate.
Who are the Flapjack 15 partners that make this event possible?
Smitty's: Canada's Family Restaurant
Since opening the first location in Calgary, AB in 1960, Smitty's™ has evolved from a simple pancake house to an all-day gathering hub for families, friends, teams and colleagues. Their menu will appeal to everyone at the table! From their famous Smitty's™ buttermilk pancakes, waffles, skillets and omelettes to garden fresh salads, burgers, steaks, and pastas. They even have a popular kid's menu for the littlest Smitty's™ guest!
With over 80 Canadian restaurants and growing, now is a great time to #meetmeatmysmittys! Loyal guests get even more when they download the new MySmitty’s Rewards app!
About their famous Buttermilk Pancakes: Smitty's™ first menu item out of the kitchen back in 1960 was a stack of our buttermilk pancakes. That trend has continued for more than 60 years with families ordering fluffy stacks of flapjacks in communities from coast-to-coast. Join them in any of their dining rooms for a stack, or get a’ just-add-water mix’ for cooking up at home. The perfect post-run fuel!
Facebook & Instagram: @SmittysRestaurants
What can I win?
Use the #runcalgaryvirtual and tag @runcalgary for chances to win great prizes each day during the race window. You will have to wait to find out!
Where do the funds raised go?
The Flapjack 15 is proud to support the Youth Centres of Calgary (YCC). YCC focuses on reducing the effects of poverty and addressing the real and urgent problems associated with youth growing up in Calgary’s tipping point communities. YCC concentrates specifically on youth who are economically and socially disadvantaged in grades 6 to 10 in communities where youth have insufficient access to healthy food, developmental opportunities and activities. The YCC model is to operate centres from a home-like environment that provides a free after-school “home away from home” for an average of 45 vulnerable youth every day.
Vision: Nourished youth live inspired, healthy and resilient lives.
Mission: Locating in the most vulnerable communities, we reduce the financial, physical and emotional impacts of poverty for youth and their families; giving youth a chance to grow and succeed by providing a safe and inclusive space where:
• youth can genuinely experience belonging and support one another;
• meaningful youth involvement will build responsibility, life skills and self-esteem; and,
• our programs and activities instill positive attitudes.
Here’s how your donations make a difference:
$25 donation provides a wholesome bagged lunch for 6 kids
$75 donation covers the cost of fresh produce for a week at one of our 10 pop-up sites
$150 donation covers the cost of eggs and milk for a month at one of our 10 pop-up sites
$250 donation provides a nutritious breakfast for 80 kids during our free outdoor summer program
$500 donation covers the cost of fresh produce and groceries for two weeks at two of our pop-up sites