With the current BC Provincial Health orders and restrictions, the Race Directors of most of the 2021 Interior Running Association (IRA) Road Race events have made the decision to cancel their in-person running events this year. This means that there will not be the usual IRA Road Race series awards in 2021. As an alternative, the IRA is pleased to offer a fun Virtual Road Run series including draw prizes and “Virtual” Iron Legs recognition.
In the event that any of these races are held in-person and you participate, those results won't automatically apply to this virtual series, but you can enter your in-person race result in the associated race of this series.
Here's how it works:
1. Use this page to register for the series. The price of $15 is for the entire series and you can run as many or as few races as you like (but if you run less than 5, you will not be eligible for any prizes).
2. There are 8 runs in the series. Run each event in the order and week they were scheduled for in the 2020 IRA Road Race series. We encourage runners to run the same distance as the actual race and to find similar terrain to the actual race course (refer to list below). If you complete 5 of the 8 events, you will be eligible for series draw prizes. If you complete all 8 events, you will receive a Virtual IRA 2021 Road Iron Legs recognition certificate and be entered into a Bonus draw prize. Due to the current Provincial Health orders, you do not have to travel and run on the actual race course. Instead, we recommend that you do your runs on a safe course in the vicinity of your hometown.
3. Each race must be run and the results uploaded within the time frame indicated next to each race.
4. After you have run each road race distance, enter your results by logging into RaceRoster.com or by using your name and registration number. Select the event and enter your time. For proof of completion, we ask that you upload a file/photo showing date and distance when you enter your result for each run. A distance tracking app, such as Strava, Garmin or Runkeeper, can provide the necessary data to submit, but is not necessary. If you need assistance, please contact Danny Kermode, IRA Director of Timing, at dannykermodeIRA@gmail.com
The runs in the series are:
- The Starting Block 10K (Lavington), February 13-21
Run 10 km on an out and back mainly flat route with one small hill and some farmland.
- Spring Runoff 10K (Kamloops), March 13-21
Run 10 km on a paved looped course that goes near a golf course.
- Oliver 10K, April 3-11
Run 10 km on a flat pathway or trail near/over running water.
- Blossom 10 Miler (Penticton), May 8-16
Run 10 miles (16.1 km) on pathway or trail, near vineyards, orchards and/or lake views with some rolling hills with net downhill.
- Blackwell Dairy 15K, May 22-30 (Kamloops)
Run 15 km on paved and/or gravel country roads with some hills and finishing with an uphill.
- Conquer the Lake Half Marathon (Lake Country), June 5-13
Run a half marathon (21.1 km) on mainly flat paved or gravel pathway near a lake.
- Midsummer 8K (Kelowna), July 10-18
Run 8 km on a flat paved out and back route with start/finish in a park.
- Fast Days of Summer 5K (Kelowna), August 14-22
Run 5 km on a flat, fast out and back route on paved path.
5. There are no age group awards, no overall awards, and no trophies for this series. However, after August 22, 2021, the runners who complete all 8 runs and enter their results by the August 22 deadline will receive a Virtual IRA 2021 Road Iron Legs recognition certificate by email.
6. Runners who complete at least 5 of the 8 Virtual Road Runs will be eligible for draw prizes.
7. BONUS: For runners that complete all 8 of the Virtual runs, not only will you earn the title of “IRON LEGS”, but your name will be entered for the grand draw prize, a $250.00 Gift Certificate redeemable at one of our Road Race Series Sponsors of your choosing.
- Canadian Tire
- Cool Running – Kamloops
- Fresh Air Experience – Kelowna
- New Leaf Physio – Kelowna
- Peach City Runners – Penticton
- Starting Block - Vernon
The draw will be done between August 22 and August 31, 2021. We thank and encourage you to visit our generous sponsors!
8. The names of the winners and their prize will be posted on our IRA website, IRA Facebook, and IRA Instagram.
CA$15.00Feb 7 - Aug 23