Medavie Canadian 5K Championships and Team Relay Challenge
Moncton, 2021 · Virtual
Join us virtually between August 29th and September 10th, 2021 for the Medavie Canadian 5K Championships! Participants from across the country are invited to participate in this unique event, featuring the Team Relay Challenge, a Canadian Master’s Championship, and of course, the National Championship for Canada’s elite athletes.
The Team Relay Challenge
Join with your friends, family, or running mates and compete in the Team Relay Challenge. Teams must number four runners and can enter in one of three categories: men’s, women’s, or mixed (two men and two women). The Relay Challenge is open to all athletes, there are no territorial restrictions.
- Team members can complete their events at any time between August 28, 2021 at 12:00AM ADT and September 10, 2021 at 11:59PM ADT. Results must be submitted on race roster during this period.
- Team members can run any course, at any time.
- In order to qualify for prizes, all team members must provide evidence of their time when uploading to race roster – this proof can come via a picture of their GPS watch, a link to their activity (i.e. Strava or MapMyRun), or a .GPX file (instructions to follow).
- Although we would prefer each team member run 5K, there is a .1KM allowance for each participant, but the team’s total distance must equal 20K. For example, runner Y could run 4.9K and runner Z could run 5.1K. We understand that there are sometimes GPS errors and will take these into account.
- Team scores will be the cumulative time between their runners (example: 22:30 + 25:10 + 19:20 + 28:55 = 1:35:55)
Prizes will be awarded to the top three teams in each category.
All participants will receive a finishers medal.
The cost per team is $100 CAD. Following August 1, 2021, the cost per team will increase to $120.
Having trouble finding a team? Contact us and we will help connect you with other athletes!
National Championship (Canadian Elite Athletes)
Elite athletes can register for the event at no cost as long as they meet the standards of 15:30 (men) or 18:30 (women). These times must have been run since January 1, 2019. Applications will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and comparable times (1500, 10K, Half Marathon, and Marathon) will be used if athletes have not raced a 5K in this period. Athletes must fill out an application. The elite race is an individual event.
Prize Money* (both men and women)
1st Place – $2,500
2nd Place – $1,500
3rd Place - $1,000
4th Place - $600
5th Place - $400
*Subject to change. The prize purse will not change but could be deepened or redistributed.
The following rules apply for the National Championship in order to ensure fair competition.
- Competitors must run a closed loop, meaning the run must start and end in the same location.
- Competitors can complete their events at any time between August 28, 2021 at 12:00AM ADT and September 10, 2021 at 11:59PM ADT.
- Competitors must upload a .GPX file to Race Roster (instructions to follow) within 90 minutes of the completion of their run.
- Competitors must have an accompanying vehicle (bicycle, car, etc.) with a separate GPS device. This file will serve as a back-up and/or confirmation of your run.
- Competitors must also have a video recording of at least 5 minutes of their run, to be sent to the elite athlete coordinator.
Elite athletes who receive a free entry are strongly encouraged to post on social media encouraging followers to sign up for the event and post a picture/video of them participating in the virtual race. Official results will be announced on September 12, 2021.
Athletes can apply here.
Have questions about the elite race? Please contact the elite athlete coordinator Stephen Andersen (Stephen.email@example.com).
Categories and prizes for wheelchair racing will be available. For details, please contact Moncton5K@gmail.com
For more information, please contact:
Complete your 5K road race anytime between the morning of August 28th to September 10th end of day. If you are a captain, create your team and set your code! If you are joining a team, please get your code from your team captain.
$25.00Mar. 1 – Jul. 31
$30.00Now registering Aug. 1 – Sep. 10