Donovan Bailey Pass the Baton Canada
Virtual Race and Fundraiser
July 27th, 2021 - Aug 3rd, 2021
Photo credit: C.Andersen
A 25th anniversary celebration of Donovan Bailey's 100M and 4 x 100M Olympic Gold Medals
To celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Donovan Bailey's 100M Gold and the Men's 4 x 100M Relay Gold Medals, Donovan Bailey, the Oakville Community Foundation and VR Pro Inc. proudly introduce the Donovan Bailey Pass the Baton virtual race events.
Choose from five different events: individual 1K, 5K, 10K, 25K with an option to sprint the last 100M; or the 4x100M social bubble relay. Run, walk, bike, wheel or move virtually from wherever you are anytime between July 27th and August 3rd, 2021.
The Donovan Bailey Pass the Baton race will support youth charities in Canada. A mandatory $5 donation will be added to each race entry.
An additional $10 will be applied for shipping and handling - We will ship your bib, medal and all of your additional items for a charge of only $10 for individual race kits and $15 for the group event.
Fundraising from this race supports youth charities
The Donovan Bailey Pass the Baton virtual race supports the following charities:
Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada
With 775 Club locations serving 200,000 youth in a multiplicity of programs.
Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Canada
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada is a Federation of 102 member agencies servicing more than 1,100 communities across the country. Together we mobilize over 20,700 volunteers who in turn mentor 41,400+ children and young people.
Youth Sports Excellence organizations and Awards
Donovan Bailey Sports Excellence Award
In recognition of the 25th Anniversary of his accomplishments, the Oakville Community Foundation has created the Donovan Bailey Sports Excellence Award to recognize a high performance athlete who upholds the values of good sportsmanship and fair play in any Olympic or Special Olympic sport.
Earn a once in a lifetime medal and race kit
Race kits include a custom imprinted technical shirt, a commemorative race bib (suitable for framing), a printable race bib with number to wear during the event, and a beautifully designed two-sided, gold-tone finishers medal. Groups participating in the 4x100M event will also receive a baton.
Those who complete the 25K distance will get a special double sided celebration coin added to their race kit!
What is a virtual race?
A virtual race is a challenge you pay to enter where you are expected to meet a target (e.g. run 13.1 miles, run for 6 hours straight or 100 miles total over a month) to win a medal or prize.
Virtual races are very similar to in-person races - you enter a race and when you finish you get a medal etc - but differ from in-person events in two key ways:
1. You can choose to complete the virtual race whenever you like.
2. You can complete the race wherever you like. You can even do the whole thing indoors on a treadmill, a bike, rollerblades or whatever suits you!
Why Do a Virtual Race - Why do Pass The Baton Canada Race?
- This is more than a virtual race - you are taking part in a national celebration coast to coast and joining other Canadians as we come together to Pass the Baton
- If you're a veteran runner, this is a great way to provide you with a flexible alternative to traditional races at a lower cost without the constraints of having to train and race at specific dates.
- If you're new to running, then this can be a less intimidating option, and helps you build your confidence.
- If you're doing this to support the charitable causes, first off thank you! Know that you can participate at any level you are comfortable with, and that your support is truly appreciated
Virtual Race Safety Recommendations from Athletics Ontario
- Follow the advice of your local public health authority, to help stop the spread of coronavirus
- Complete your race solo. Do not run with anyone else, unless they live in your household
- If you are running with someone from your household, run single file, allowing others to pass you easily and safely
- Pre-plan your route with safety in mind. Websites like https://www.gmap-
pedometer.com/ can help you source the correct distance and allow you to pick routes with the least amount of busy street intersections
- Avoid high traffic pedestrian and vehicle areas. Run or walk close to home in your neighbourhood during a quieter time of day
- Adhere to social distancing practices while you are out running or walking. Can you safely pass someone? Can you run safely on the road? Make sure you always have a safe way to move around people to maintain 6 feet of distance.
- Complete your run on a treadmill, if this is an option that is available to you and that you would prefer
- Wear appropriate clothing. Be visible and dress for the weather
- Bring fuel, hydration and hand sanitizer, avoid public water fountains
- Carry a cell phone with you during your virtual race and tell someone the route you are running in case of an emergency
How to record your results
You can record your run or walk through an app, GPS watch, or other timing device. Once you have completed and recorded your run/walk you will want to save the results so that you can submit them (see section below on how to submit results).
I finished my virtual event, now what?
Please submit the results of your virtual race to firstname.lastname@example.org. Results will be posted within a few days on SpeedRiverTiming.com along with a link to your finisher's certificate. Include in the email, which race you completed, the method you used to time and measure your run/walk and of course, your time.
Grab 4 people from your household and complete a 4 x 100M relay race.
$120.00Mar. 3 - Jul. 27
Run, walk, bike, wheel or just move virtually from wherever you are for a distance of 1KM. This race is open to everyone of all abilities, we want you to participate in whatever way you can. Donovan Bailey invites you to do a 100M sprint at the end of your race!
$35.00Mar. 3 - Jul. 27
Run, walk, bike, wheel or just move virtually from wherever you are for a distance of 5KM. This race is open to everyone of all abilities, we want you to participate in whatever way you can. Donovan Bailey invites you to do a 100M sprint at the end of your race!
$35.00Mar. 3 - Jul. 27
Donovan Bailey invites you to do a 100M sprint at the end of your race!
$35.00Mar. 3 - Jul. 27
25KMs to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Donovan Bailey's 100M Gold and the Men's 4 x 100M Relay Gold Medals. Donovan Bailey invites you to do a 100M sprint at the end of your race!
$40.00Mar. 3 - Jul. 27