With the current BC Provincial Health orders and restrictions, the Race Directors of most of the 2021 Interior Running Association (IRA) Cross Country events have made the decision to cancel their in-person running events this year. This means that there will not be the usual IRA Cross Country series awards in 2021. As an alternative, the IRA is pleased to offer a fun Virtual Cross Country series including draw prizes and “Virtual” Iron Legs recognition.
In the event that any of these races are held in-person and you participate, those results won't automatically apply to this virtual series, but you can enter your in-person race result in the associated race of this series.
Here's how it works:
1. Use this page to register for the series. The price of $10 is for the entire series and you can run as many or as few races as you like.
2. There are 5 runs in the series. Run each event in the order and week listed below. We encourage runners to run the same distance as the actual race and to find similar terrain to the actual race course (refer to list below). If you complete all 5 events, you will receive a Virtual IRA 2021 Cross Country Iron Legs recognition certificate and be entered into a Bonus draw prize. Due to the current Provincial Health orders, you do not have to travel and run on the actual race course. Instead, we recommend that you do your runs on a safe course in the vicinity of your hometown.
3. Each race must be run and the results uploaded within the time frame indicated next to each race.
4. After you have run each cross country distance, enter your results by logging into RaceRoster.com or by using your name and registration number. Select the event and enter your time. For proof of completion, we ask that you upload a file/photo showing date and distance when you enter your result for each run. A distance tracking app, such as Strava, Garmin or Runkeeper, can provide the necessary data to submit, but is not necessary. If you need assistance, please contact Danny Kermode, IRA Director of Timing, at dannykermodeIRA@gmail.com
The runs in the series are:
- Campbell Mountain 8.8k, September 18 - 26
Start with uphill, with at least one other hill on route, including some single track trails.
- Summerland Sweets 7.4k, October 2 - 10
Start on flat, rolling hills on route, finish on flat trail.
- Reino Run 9k, October 16 - 24
Run on a course similar to the Larch Hills Cross Country Ski Trails.
- Kal Park 9k, October 30 - November 7
Lots of hills and some single track, with downhill finish.
- Larry Nicholas 8.2k, November 13 - 21
Flat start/finish, with rolling hills in middle on wide dirt trail.
5. There are no age group awards, no overall awards, and no trophies for this series. However, after November 21, 2021, the runners who complete all 5 runs and enter their results by the November 21 deadline will receive a Virtual IRA 2021 Cross Country Iron Legs recognition certificate by email.
6. There will be draw prizes after the 3rd run -- to be eligible for the this draw, participants must have completed at least 2 of the first 3 runs. After the final run, more prizes will be drawn -- to be eligible for this draw, participants must have have completed at least 3 of all 5 runs.
7. BONUS: For runners that complete all 5 of the virtual runs, not only will you earn the title of “IRON LEGS”, but your name will be entered for the grand draw prize, a $150.00 Gift Certificate redeemable at one of our Cross Country Race Series Sponsors of your choosing.
- Canadian Tire
- Cool Running – Kamloops
- Fresh Air Experience – Kelowna
- New Leaf Physio – Kelowna
- Peach City Runners – Penticton
- Starting Block - Vernon
The draw will be done between November 21 and Dec 31, 2021. We thank and encourage you to visit our generous sponsors!
8. The names of the winners and their prize will be posted on our IRA website, IRA Facebook, and IRA Instagram.
9. Note: Those runners who complete all the Virtual Road Races and all the Virtual Cross Country Races will receive a Legs of Steel Certificate!
CA$10.00Sep 1 - Nov 21