Saturday, June 3, 2023
War Memorial Golf Course
Little Rock, AR
5101 W. Markham, Little Rock, AR 72205
Created for those who think a little differently about this runnin' stuff.
The Mud Run is for the adventuresome spirit and is definitely not your average 5K. The only thing serious about this event is the MUD.
Participants run, walk, skip, trot and even cavort through our 5K(ish - please refer to helpful hints section for the clarification of "ish") course, which winds through scenic Western Hills Park. Participants may have to overcome an "obstacle" or two along the way. Then finish with a spectacular frolic through our world-renowned mud pit, which is filled with that amazing Arkansas mud.
The point is not to finish fast but to finish with style.
Competition Categories and Awards
Only the top three men and top three women will be timed (unless we forget to start the clock - then we give it a pretty good guess)
Anyways, awards will be given as follows:
- Top three fastest (men & women)
- Cleanest (just one of those)
- Dirtiest (Adult & Child)
- Best Costume (Adult & Child)
- Best Entrance Into The Pit
- Best Performance in the Pit
. . . and much, much more!
Helpful Hints, Tips, Inklings, Advice, & Suggestions
- Wear your grungy clothes and old sneakers, because more than likely they won't be going home with you. There will be a rinse off area and changing tents for participants.
- Bring a big trash bag (unless you want your car trashed).
- Leave your jewelry at home.
- Drink fluids before and after the race.
- Do Not dive head first into the mud pit (although points are given to the most artistic entrance into the pit).
- This is a fun run so help your neighbor if he or she needs it.
- No pushing, shoving, crying, or biting while in the pit.
- There will be medical staff along the course and finish line (the guys in the white coats are paramedics - really!).
- Small children or small animals should not go in the pit unattended (a couple years ago someone lost their dog in the pit - looking for a lost diamond ring. Fear not – the dog was found. The ring was not so lucky.)
- No metal detectors in the pit (remember we found the dog).
- Wear a cool costume (come on - all the kids are doing it).
- No baby joggers, no roller blades, no whining, no grumpy people (well if the Goddess hasn’t had her afternoon caffeine break - look out).
- If a course marshal looks confused – take that as a sign that you may be taking a wrong turn.
- If a course marshal is laughing uncontrollably he or she may have knowingly turned you the wrong way or you had a wardrobe malfunction.
- We love course marshals. (If you think you have the right stuff to be a course marshal, please contact the CIC)
HINT-HINT-WINK-WINK-NUDGE-NUDGE. The organizers of the Mud Run truly believe that stepping up to the start line of any race should be a celebration of the human spirit. Since its inception, the Mud Run has maintained the highest standard of silliness, coupled with a huge helping of organized chaos, equality, and humor.
The “ish” in 5K-ish. To understand the importance of the “ish”, one must go back in time to the first epic romping of the Mud Run - a long, long time ago.
As legend has it, a really fast runner – we will call him Brian the Barbarian (aka Brian Bariola our very first winner) was a mile ahead of everyone else. The CIC (remember that is Chick In Charge) did not think it was very sporting to let Brian beat the entire field by such a large margin. So with a wave of her magically Mud Run Mojo Stick, she issued the decree from high atop Majestic Mud Mountain and the course was magically changed in the middle of the race. Thus, saving thousands the humiliation of being beat by so much. Brian still won the race, got a few extra miles in (remember he’s this really fast guy that likes running a lot), and everyone lived happily ever after.
Geneva Lamm, CIC
The Mud Nerd
. . . This division does NOT include the highly prized Mud Run shirt, but it does includes a good time and plenty of mud.
. . . For the "all in" ultimate muddy adventure seeker. Includes the highly prized Mud Run shirt, a good time, and respect of the all in attendance. It's pretty awesome.
Includes a nifty T-Shirt
The Mud Bug
. . . Part party animal. Part spectator. For the athlete that doesn't need to run, but does need to play in the mud. Includes the highly prized Mud Run shirt, special start, a good time, and plenty of mud. Bring your lawn chair.
A romp in the mud. No running required.