The Fred Bigelow Memorial 100Km Challenge is a fundraiser that is held throughout the month of November. This event is an opportunity to both remember Fred and be motivated to get outside and be active. Fred was always on the move whether it was running, biking, hiking, paddling, or snowshoeing. The challenge is to see if you can complete 100km during the month of November by any means of physical activity. Let the wide selection of sports that Fred enjoyed inspire you to get out and move!
Fred was an avid community volunteer who gave generously of his time. He was a member of the CVRR and volunteered at numerous community events. Fred loved being in the forest and exploring the trails. His enjoyment of the outdoors and desire to support his community naturally led to his favorite groups being the Cumberland Community Forest and The United Riders Of Cumberland.
Throughout the entire month of November, participants will strive to complete a collective 100 kilometers of physical activity. The best part? You get to choose your preferred means of physical activity! Whether you're into running, biking, hiking, snowshoeing, kayaking, or any other form of movement, it all counts toward the goal. The variety of activities mirrors Fred's own diverse interests and his dedication to staying active in the great outdoors.
- Honour Fred's Legacy: This challenge is a meaningful way to remember and celebrate Fred Bigelow, a remarkable individual who made a difference in his community.
- Stay Active: The challenge encourages participants to embrace an active lifestyle and explore the beautiful natural surroundings that Fred cherished.
- Support Local Groups: Choose to make a donation to one or both of Fred's favorites, The Cumberland Community Forest and The United Riders of Cumberland.
Each year we honour a "Fredism" and have it stamped on a custom metal shoe tag that can be attached to your laces. So, for 2023, Giddy-up! Tags are available for purchase in the STORE. Tab on the top right side of the page under Fred's picture.
How to Join:
- Register. Registration tab in the top left corner.
- Will enable email updates on the event.
- Allow you to make a donation to chosen groups.
- Order a commemorative shoe tag.
- If not already a Strava member, register for a free account http://strava.com.
- In Strava, join the Fred Bigelow Memorial 100 Km challenge club. https://www.strava.com/clubs/750868
- Strava is where you will either record or upload each activity you complete.
- In order for your activities to be displayed on the club leaderboards you will need to set your "Privacy Control" to "Everyone". On a mobile device set "Visibility" to "Everyone".
November can be a tough month to stay motivated and active in the outdoors. By participating in the Fred Bigelow Memorial Challenge we commemorate Fred's legacy, stay active, and make a positive impact on our community. Let's come together to honour his memory and create a lasting impact on the causes he held dear. Together, we can make a difference while celebrating a life well-lived.
You may find yourself easily going over the 100K in the month of November, especially if you are a cyclist. Don't fret... carry on and Giddy-up!! Last time we saw participants surpassing even their own expectations....300K, 400K, and more!!
Want to know a little more about Fred? or the CVRR? Check out the website www.cvrr.ca
Run, Bike, Hike, Walk, Ski, Swim etc. 100K of the Comox Valley during the month of November.
FreeOct 19 - Nov 29
- Event contact
- Kathy Campbell