3rd Annual Event
Saturday, December 12, 2020 8:00AM
5108 Kuykendall Rd, Charlotte, NC 28270
Proceeds benefit Homeless Women & Children of Shelter Health Services in the Charlotte Area.
Through Shelter Health Services, St. Hermione Home & Holy Unmercenary Medical Society (HUMS)
Make a difference in their lives by providing:
Access to free healthcare
A nurturing pre and post Maternity
Vocational training for employment and self-sufficiency
For our 3rd annual event, St. Nektarios Taking Steps 5k will have 2 options: a 5k Virtual Event,
and a Virtual Challenge Orthodox Church Tour Event
The 5K In Person Event has been canceled. The city of Charlotte has canceled all permits. This event will now be a virtual event only.
The 5k Virtual Event
- The event 5K course will be set up for Dec 12th, 2020 if you wish to run/walk the designated event course on your own. The route will be marked and signs will be available to direct you for the total 3.1 miles
- Run or walk 3.1 miles whenever and wherever you want during the week of December 6th - 12th.
- Log your performance on a tracking app or device of your choice
- Submit Your Time to the Race Roster results page before midnight on December 13th, 2020
- T-Shirts and medals will be mailed
The Team Virtual Challenge – Orthodox Church Tour Event
A four-week virtual team event that will highlight 5 Greek Orthodox Churches in our region. By the end of the 4 weeks, You would complete a total of 324 miles. The team can walk, run, track activities during the day or a combination to complete the 324 miles.
1) The virtual challenge operates from November 14th – December 12th.
2) Week 1: Starting at the Diakonia Retreat Center, Salem SC, and ending at St. George Orthodox Cathedral, Greenville SC = 42 miles
a) The goal is that the team or the individual run/walk 41 miles for the week.
b) You pick the route equals to 41 miles. Use a GPS or other tracking device to log the route of your choice.
c) Upload your data into the Website
d) At the end of the week, interesting information will be provided about the Diakonia Retreat Centers !
3) Week 2: Starting at St. George Orthodox Cathedral, Greenville SC, and ending at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Charlotte NC = 102 miles
o Repeat steps a-c from week 1, reaching the miles goal of 102 miles.
o At the end of the week, interesting information will be provided about St. George Orthodox Cathedral !
4) Week 3: Starting at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Charlotte NC, and ending at the Annunciation Church, Winston-Salem, NC = 83 miles
o Repeat steps a-c from week 1, reaching the miles goal of 83 miles.
o At the end of the week, interesting information will be provided about Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral !
5) Week 4: Starting at the Annunciation Church, Winston-Salem, NC, and ending at St. Nektarios Greek Orthodox Church, Charlotte, NC = 98 miles
o Repeat steps a-c from week 1, reaching the miles goal of 98 miles.
o At the end of the week, interesting information will be provided about Annunciation Church website and St. Nektarios Church!
6) Each week we will send out a communication to the challenge members detailing their progress and highlighting the next Church on the schedule.
7) Packets and T-Shirts will be mailed.
8) Each team member is required to purchase their own entry into the challenge. Each team member will receive their own finisher medal at the end
9) Team members share the distance with the other people in your team.
10) Each team will have their very own team icon on the map.
11) Each time a team member posts a distance the team icon will advance up the map.
12) Each team will also be represented on the leaderboard.
13) Each individual will also be able to see information about your own achievements and rankings separate from the team.
14) The distance doesn’t have to be divided evenly among team member. The team can be organized with experienced runners and people just starting out.
15) Be active, be healthy, have fun, enjoy the activity with your team and most of all, feel like a champion in being part of this worthy cause of helping the homeless women and children.
Finishers Medals and Top Winners in Each Category
Medals are given to all finishing walkers/runners, and top winners of their age category.
Come out, join us and enjoy our Olive Wood medals, hand made in Bethlehem, the Holy Land, and the birth place of Jesus Christ.
Share this event on Facebook!
ST. NEKTARIOS CHURCH
The direction of our ministries – Worship, Witness, Fellowship and Service – is set by our Lord Jesus Christ. It is up to each of us to choose to share the gifts given to us to support Christ’s work on earth. Jesus Christ’s abundant grace knows no limits, and our ministries have the same unlimited potential.
The 5k Virtual Event
$25.00May 1 – Dec 12
The Virtual Challenge – Orthodox Church Tour Event
$25.00May 1 – Dec 12