Crystal Lake Half Marathon Sept. 13, 2020 – Return to Racing Protocol
As of July 19, 2020
The following guidelines is based on Restore Illinois PHASE IV Revitalization / YOUTH and RECREATIONAL SPORTS GUIDELINES, INDOOR & OUTDOOR RECREATION GUIDELINES, AND MEETINGS AND SOCIAL EVENTS GUIDELINES with gatherings of up to 50 people per group and the opening of outdoor recreation.
Race Management Team: (Race Director, Race Sponsor, Staff):
- All Race Management Team members (RMT) will work from home and should continue to do so if applicable to the role they play within the event.
- RMT will wear face coverings over their nose and mouth when within 6 ft. of others while on work site.
- RMT shall provide their own hand washing capability or sanitizer during contact periods.
- RMT shall hand wash frequently with soap/paper towels/disinfectant/hand sanitizer where available.
- All employees and workers who perform work at the worksite for the reason of this event, shall complete health and safety training related to COVID-19 when initially returning to work. This is based on the DCEO Restore Illinois guidelines website.
- RMT shall not report to or be allowed to remain at, work if sick or symptomatic (with cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing, fever of 100.4 degrees or above, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell. Or other CDC symptoms.
- IF a RMT reports having an COVID-19 related symptoms, they should remain isolated at home for a minimum of 10 days after symptom onset OR until fever less and feeling well (without fever-reducing medication) for at least 72 hours OR confirmation to not have COVID-19 via 2 negative COVID-19 tests in a row, with testing done at least 24 hours apart.
Physical Workspace/Race Site Logistics:
- Display signage (Visual markers of 6 ft. apart) at entry of parking area, bus area, stretch zones, packet pick up area, restrooms, and the starting lines.
- 6 ft. spacing Que lines for bus pick up, packet pick up, restrooms, and other gathering places will be designated by tape, chalk, or similar markings.
- A designated area will be available to separate from others for anyone who exhibits COVID-like symptoms during the pre-race and post-race to isolate from others before being picked up to leave or depart the area.
- Multiple groups of 50 or fewer participants permitted at once as long as there is 30ft. of distancing is maintained between groups and clearly marked.
- Limited access for spectators will include a spectators’ guide for areas to best see event participants. Along with this will include COVID-19 protocols. Additionally the race will be live streamed at the start and finish to help with spectating.
- All packets will be stuffed and handled by 1 volunteer for each bag. In each bag will include the racers shirt, bib number, and swag.
- Volunteers will wear masks and gloves while placing items in bags.
- Each bag will remain sealed until distributed.
- Distribution will be a drive up window a Smith PT/Running Academy Friday and Saturday prior to the event.
- Race day packet pick up will be done at Main Beach auditorium.
Facility Rental Protocol: Main Beach
- Those individuals who choose not to ride the bus will be temperature checked as they walk into the Main Beach gates.
- All who enter the Main Beach gates must have face coverings on.
- Crystal Lake Park District (CLPD) building will have one entrance and one exit.
- The CLPD will follow the guidelines published by Restore Illinois Phase IV – Indoor & Outdoor Recreations Guidelines and Meeting and Social Events Guidelines.
- Packet pick up inside will have 6 ft. markers for those waiting in line for packets.
Equipment use and disinfection/cleaning procedures:
- Cleaning and disinfection of premise and equipment will be conducted in compliance with CDC protocols prior to event date and usage for event.
- RMT will thoroughly sanitize all rental and other utilized equipment before and after use by a customer. Rental equipment sanitizing process will be properly displayed for customers and employees to comply with.
- Clean and disinfect occupied tables and seats between use by different groups or parties, and again at closing time.
- Cooler Other
Race course water/aid stations:
- Aid stations are spread out evenly at every 1.5 mile. (1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 10.5, 12)
- All volunteers will wear face coverings and gloves during their shift at the aid station.
- Water cups and other hydration will be spread out on multiple tables in order to keep participants spaced out.
- Cups will be self-serve and volunteers will not hand cups to racers.
- A garbage can will be made available for runners to pitch their cups into.
- Cup pick up will be done with volunteers using gloves, brooms, or rakes. And placed in garbage bags.
- Runners have the option to bring their own hydration and not stop at aid stations.