The most common excuse we hear when we ask Race Directors why they aren’t engaging more with their participants on social media channels like facebook, is…
“I don’t have the time”
To this we respond, “You’re right, ‘facebooking’ can be a time suck, but let us tell you how you can schedule all your posts for the month in less than 1 hour!”
The solution is in the technology.
NEWSFLASH: Facebook allows you to schedule your posts!
So let’s say you want to share a training tip or recipe with your followers every other day for the entire month (15 posts total).
1. Find 1 hour at the beginning of the month and find 15 training tips or links to recipes that you would like to share with your followers. Put the links in a word doc.
Tip: Find running related tips and recipes on sites like RunnersWorld.com or RunnersFeed.com
2. Login to your facebook, and type in the message that is related to your first tip. Then copy and paste your first link into the status window.
(Secret: Once the link attaches to the post you can erase the link, from the status window, to keep it nice and clean, but the attachment link will still show up in the post)!
3. Then select the “clock” image in the left hand corner of the status window and use the provided drop down menus to select the year, month, day and time that you would like to post this tweet. Hit schedule.
4. Repeat for all 15 posts for the month. If you want to view your posts for the upcoming month, select “Edit Page” at the top right hand corner of the facebook page and select “Use Activity Log”. Here you will see all your schedule posts!
5. We do recommend quickly checking your facebook page on a daily basis to see if any of your participants have asked any questions that could be answered publicly. Wouldn’t you rather respond to a frequently asked question on facebook so all your participants to see, than respond to 8 emails with the same question.
Make Facebook your friend, not your enemy by taking advantage of the tools it provides and the platform it gives you to share information.
If you have any questions about scheduling posts, or race directing in general, feel free to give one of our race director experts a call 1-888-749-3028!
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter @raceroster for our daily race directing tips!